Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Tremont-An Old Friend with Falls #8

Friday July 13, 2018                                                                                  Most Recent Posts:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park                  The Little River Trail, Husky Branch Falls and Millionaire’s Row
Tennessee                                                                                                  Drama in Cades Cove



IMG_7706For me, Tremont Tennessee means The Great Smoky Mountain Institute where, some years ago, David and I spent a wonderful 4 days with the environmental writer Scott Russell Sanders.  I was anxious to return to see the Institute, which is an educational arm of the park, and to check out the hikes in the area.

The open, flat area which the institute occupies is known as “Walker Fields” and was named for Will Walker who first settled there in 1859.  Walker remained in the vicinity until his death in 1918 and refused to sell any of his land to the Little River Lumber company until late in his life when he sold with the provision that certain sections of Virgin Timber would not be cut.  The agreement made, a lumber camp and small community known as Tremont sprang up. The President of the Little River Lumber Company kept his promise to Walker but after the president’s death, the company cut all the trees. 

On Friday I drive over to the Institute before they are open and take the trail to Lumber Ridge Trail to Spruce Flats Falls.  The trail is rugged, some what steep, especially the last section down to the falls and very rocky.


IMG_7589




The trail to the falls takes a right UP and away from the Lumber Ridge Trail


The institute does important and interesting environmental residential programs for families, teachers and others.  I could see the participant and staff housing off to my right as I climbed.

IMG_7610


I never hike without hiking boots and here’s a good reason why.

IMG_7612


I was able to catch a few mountain views through the trees along the trail.

IMG_7621


I love the “folds” in these ancient Appalachian Mountains.  I just hope they aren’t covered up erosion from the horrible clear cutting that was done in the early 20th century.

IMG_7622



This is a pretty interesting “ladder” cut out of one piece of wood to help you down when the trail is too muddy or running full with water and to get you by a large rock at the end.  I know I’m near the falls from the increasing sounds of the water.

IMG_7624


There they are in the distance.

IMG_7626


Definitely worth the tricky footing at points.

IMG_7639


Looking down river as the water flows away.



IMG_7648


It never seems to me to be hot enough in these mountains to tempt me into the waterfall pools.

IMG_7663


IMG_7665


Beautiful Spruce Flats is Falls # 8 on my quest for as many as I can hike to.

IMG_7667


The unique ladder going back up.  It’s interesting to climb.


I had to show a picture of this because I could hardly believe it.  The mother, I assume, who is carrying a baby in a backpack on her back is wearing flip-flops and her perhaps 5 or 6 year old daughter has on sandles for this climb.


This is much steeper than it looks and I thought more difficult on the way down than on the way up. 

IMG_7692


I really have to watch my feet.  In addition to rocky and rooty, this trail is narrow and the drop off on the “outside” does not look inviting.



IMG_7693


When I arrive back at the Institute I go into the store to pick up their schedule of programs.
Among the up coming programs are Teacher Escape Week-ends, Southern Appalachian Naturalist Certification Program (I’d love to do this), a Road Scholar Hiking Week, a photography workshop, a Sierra Club program and a women’s backpacking week-end among many more.

If you have the opportunity to take advantage of this wonderful place I can guarantee you will have a wonderful time, learn a lot and be rejuvenated.   Check them out here.

As I was leaving, I saw this darling poster on the wall.


On my way home I start wondering if Will Walker is the patriarch of the Walker Clan which came to include the Walker Sisters I talked about in my first post from Great Smoky Mountain National Park..  You can see it here.  

I pass this little church every time I drive toward Townsend to go to Cades Cove or to Tremont and somehow thought this was the church where the Walker Sisters were buried.  So day I pull over into the only parking space and hike up to take a look.


IMG_7755



I find a number of Walkers and several who were born in the early 20th century and would have been adults by the time the park took over the land and some who were contemporaries of the Walker sisters.  But the sisters are not here.

IMG_7762

IMG_7764


It’s certainly a lovely spot for eternal rest.

IMG_7773


The sign in front of the church tells me it is the Headrich Chapel, established in 1902, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.   A sign on the church says it can be rented and there is a phone number to call.  But apparently it’s darling little bell no longer rings for Sunday Services.

IMG_7775

I subsequently find that the Walker Sisters final resting place is on a hill behind my campsite.

14 comments:

  1. The waterfalls are a delight to see. It baffles me as to why one wouldn't wear proper footwear on a trail like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understand how anyone hikes in flip flops. They no doubt have very sore feet during and after the hike.

    I would really enjoy some of those programs at the Tremont Institute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great hike, a sad commentary on failing to honor an agreement and the hope for a more caring future. We can only hope so:) As for those hikers, I fear the worst for the future generations:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos of one of the prettiest falls we saw in the park!! Fun hike if you watch where you are walking;-)) The good thing about all the rain this summer is that the falls and rivers are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen many people hiking in flip flops. I just don't get it, maybe they are looking to sue after they break an ankle. Can't fix stupid. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to take some of those programs at the Tremont Institute—sign me up for the naturalist and photography programs! I agree with Nancy—that's one of the prettiest falls I've seen you post about. Interesting carved log ladder, too. We've seen some crazy footwear choices just about everywhere we travel. I don't know how people manage on rough trails in flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy finding various waterfalls. I just wish you could hike UP to them first rather than down. Love that ladder idea! So clever. Gotta love the crazy people that try the rocky trails with flip flops! No thought there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love waterfalls, and you have seen and hiked to some beautiful ones at the smokies. I think you have made yourself a good goal of seeing all if not most of the waterfalls at the park.
    I have seen some teens hiking barefoot at Arches NP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That trail looks challenging enough in hiking boots. Lovely waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a cool one log ladder! It don't recall that from our much earlier visit & suppose it might also be slick in wet weather, so good to have the hand rail. I do recall the Tremont Institute being a wonderful experience & would gladly visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #8 is a beauty!! Those roots and rocks look very challenging, glad you were safely (and smartly) laced up in your hiking boots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Challenging hike. I can't imagine not having very sore feet hiking in flip-flops! Beautiful waterfall! That bear calendar is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely falls! I especially love the several photos that show all the different-level rock ledges — if it were dry, an opera society could stage “Aida” (or something) there.

    You say “this trail is much steeper than it looks”- which is really scary because that photo looks like it plummets straight DOWN! Glad you made it back safely and only hope the children of the flipflop mother did too (I’ll leave the mother to her own fate…).

    Adorable bear poster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It never ceases to amaze in what folks think are proper hiking shoes. We had one lady come out to Spur Cross and went hiking up Elephant Mountain in heels, we tried to suggest better footwear but she told us in no uncertain terms she would be fine....wonder whatever happened. Loving the waterfall pictures, what an unique stair case.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!