Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Can’t Get Enough of those Bears

Wednesday August 15, 2018                                                             Most Recent Posts:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park                                  Cherokee for Falls and an Indian Taco
Tennessee                                                       Thanks for Sticking With Me – Mouse Creek Falls and Midnight Hole


It’s been a waterfalls and black bears summer for me.  Absolutely GRAND!   I have just two weeks  left so I’m going to Cades Cove on Wednesday morning for the “No Cars” until 10am hours.



Bill and Nancy had been surprised one morning with the thundering sound of hoofs when the herd of horses came in from the field in the morning.  I’ve hoped to see them ever since and today I did.   The skies were overcast and the haze not so hot for pictures but I got some anyway and a mediocre video which I had hoped would have the hoofs in the audio but my camera wasn’t up to it as well as my ears were.   You can see the video here.




At the end is the cowboy who is rounding them up to herd them to the barn.  I think it’s hillarious that he isn’t on a horse.


He has “horse power”


As I walk on down the road I find that tractors are really in action today.  This one is mowing the summer wildflower fields.

IMG_1598


It’s mostly walkers and bikers this morning.  Haven’t seen any runners.  I’m on my way to the bear trees of course now that I know just where they are.

IMG_1606


I keep wondering when they will have picked this tree clean.

IMG_1616


Reaching out to get those berries which are about the size of a large pea.  This video shows what’s going on in the tree.

IMG_1619


Climbing over to a new spot.


IMG_1633


Have a seat and reach up.

IMG_1650


What large claws you have.

IMG_1660


Changed my mind, coming down.  Everybody below backs up.

IMG_1666



I head along the road to go down Sparks Road to the next popular tree.

IMG_1683


And there they are, up in the trees.

IMG_1686


and down on the ground.  This bear apparently broke off the branch but dropped it out of the tree.  Wish I’d been here to see that.  These folks were just biking down the road when they stopped and turned around.

IMG_1688


IMG_1689


IMG_1690


IMG_1692


I turn my attention back up to the tree. .

IMG_1699


Is he eyeing the berries or considering the strenth of the branches?

IMG_1709


Well here he goes.

IMG_1715


IMG_1717


Boy that branch in front of him doesn’t look very strong.  I’ve heard that bears do fall out of trees but not often.


IMG_1729



Boy I hope this bear doesn’t fall out of the tree on top of the unsuspecting biker.  The folks on the side lines look a bit worried.  They kept backing up.

IMG_1733


Here’s a close up of the climber.

IMG_1751


Boy this looks pretty precarious to me.

IMG_1757


Great face!

IMG_1758


IMG_1771



That little red berry is what this is all about.  The dead leaves are from branches the bear has damaged.  It’s a form of natural pruning called “bear pruning’.

IMG_1776


Another questionable smaller branch being attempted.


IMG_1784


Turn around – good decision.

IMG_1785


Bears aren’t the only wildlife here but I have to say they are the most fun to spend a few hours watching.



IMG_1803


IMG_1789

14 comments:

  1. The horses are gorgeous. The bears are huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bears must be pretty confident about not falling. Looks a fall would really smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the roundup. The nice thing about being in an area for awhile, knowing the "best places", what a fun time bear watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to hear the thundering herd!!! It really took us by surprise:o)) Great bear photos...never can get too many of them!!

    Hope you two are doing well and starting your winter travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This time of year, the bears are in a great mood- they're getting lots to eat. By now they must be thinking of winter dens. Up here the berries they go for tend to be in bushes lower to the ground, but they do climb certain types of trees for nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great shots and video of the bears. Some of those tree limbs just don't look like they would hold their weight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the bear pictures, and I always wished I was with you each time you include those great action bear eating shots.
    Just sent you email about our Florida stops. Hopefully we can have a meet up then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! Your close ups are amazing. What beautiful creatures:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't believe the encounters you have with bears, and your photos! That bear climbing out onto the tree limb is fantastic. "Bear pruning," LOL! A bear just broke off a pear tree limb last week at our home in Ashland. And our house is in town!! It kind of freaked our renters out. :-((

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see the bears are more interested in eating berries than people. Wow, some folks get a little too close for comfort. I like the way you did it, with a good camera lens. Still, amazing pictures, what a treasure to see bears like that. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cool to see, and feel, the running horses. Since when do cowboys round up with a tractor. I love the bear trees. Hope there are signs reminding folks to be pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bears are so wonderful! Great faces and acrobatics. I'd never tire of watching them in the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you got to see the horses. And so many bears!! How very neat to see them in the trees. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!