Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Last Days at Disney World in which Winnie the Pooh Wishes Me Happy Birthday

Thursday  and Friday                                                                       Most Recent Posts:
December 8 and 9, 2016                                                                   It’s My Birthday
Fort Wilderness Campground                                                            New Things at a Rainy Epcot
Lake Buena Vista, Florida

 

FRIDAY

My last post was about my actual birthday but this whole week has been my birthday week.  I’m now down to my last two days celebrating at Disney World.  But first, I want to answer a few questions asked in recent comments on my posts from this happy place.

 

IMG_5226

Flowergirl asked about suggestions for first time 60 year olds.  That’s a tough one since it depends on how long you will be at Disney World and what you like.  These posts should give you a good idea of what’s available.  The greatest number of parades and lights is in the Magic Kingdom.  The best food is probably at Epcot.  If you are a serious movie buff you’ll like Hollywood studios. It’s almost impossible to do more than one park in one day and even then it’s tough.  If you want to email me perhaps I can answer specific questions.

 

IMG_5231

Mona Liza asked if there were more or less crowds than summer.  I haven’t been here in summer, too hot for me but I’m pretty certain there are more crowds then and during any school holiday such as the week after Christmas.  The crowds were fine during this week of the year in the past until this new plan for a special evening event multiple times a week.

I want Cindy to know that the fast passes do not cost extra.  They do require that you “schedule” your time which isn’t a thing I love to do and they do have to be set up ahead of time and the earlier the better.  But they sure save standing in long lines at some of the most popular rides.

David is over at Hollywood Studios today and misses seeing the Trolley come out of its barn to pick up the singers and dancers.  As I’ve shown in previous posts, the horses live at Fort Wilderness and come over here to work a few hours a day.  They also work at Fort Wilderness providing the wagon and carriage rides.

 

IMG_5233

 

I believe the trolley takes the performers from one end of Main Street to the other and back to the barn stopping frequently for the players to put on their terrific show.

 

IMG_5238

 

Walking on down Main Street I meet these suffregettes and thank them for their service.

 

I have a fast pass for Pirates of the Carribean in Adventureland.

IMG_5244

 

On the way I stop to see the show as Capt’n Jack Sparrow and his first mate attempt to sign up new recruits for their crew..

IMG_5248

 

IMG_5249

 

Once he has his crew assembled, I head across the way to the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride and move right along in the fast pass lane.  Imagine my surprise to see  Jack here.  How did he get inside and in this great chair at the end of the ride so fast?

 

I’m on my way to I don’t remember where when I stop to see a new show on the Castle Forecourt Stage.  I later learn it is Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire.  Seems like everyone is there.

 

IMG_5293

 

The faire ends with surprise fireworks.  I’m only fast enough to get the smoke. 

IMG_5297

 

The Faire is immediately followed by the Festival of Fantasy Parade. I’ve seen it before.  In fact I’ve seen it every day I’ve been in this park this week but it’s still spectacular.

I’m pretty sure you could spend the entire day here just seeing the shows and parades and never have time to ride one ride.

IMG_5332

 

IMG_5340

 

While I’ve been doing all of this, David has gone to Hollywood Studios and has written something up about his day and chosen some of the fun he had to show on the blog.  I’ll let him speak for himself.

Just a few pictures to recall two of my favorite attractions – One Man’s Dream & the Great Movie Ride, and a new one for me Indiana Jones Stunts. Spectacular.

 

IMG_7467

The Exhibit and film of Walt Disney’s life is by itself worth the visit. He was such a creative man & a natural leader & inventor with a real passion for his work. The exhibits on display are meant to keep your interest while you wait in line for the climax – a film made with vintage clips which accompany a sound track of Walt telling his own story at some point in time.

 

 

 

The film is rumored to be retired soon, so catch it if you can. The two clips show him receiving a special Oscar statuette in 1938 by Shirley Temple for 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' that shows an Oscar figure accompanied by seven 'dwarf' Oscar figures & another of two live tigers on his office desk! He was so full of life and imagination – what an inspiring man he was!

 

 

 

IMG_7540

Next stop was the Great Movie ride which takes you through many memorable classic movie sets. This attraction is presented by Turner Classic Movies so not all the films are Disney. While you wait in line, there is a wonderful film showing many other classic films not featured in the ride but in the Turner collection narrated by I don’t recall who, but very engaging while you wait. Last visit we went back just to watch the entire film about the selected classics. Here are a few shots of the film sets featured in the ride that you should recognize.

 

 

IMG_7567

 

IMG_7570

 

IMG_7581

Finally a new attraction for me was the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. It is a lengthy affair with wonderful sets & stunt actors. They spend a lot of time selecting people from the audience to participate – too much IMHO. Many live stunts and a HUGE amphitheater seating area that can accommodate an enormous crowd. Just a few shots to give you the picture. A matter of taste, once was enough for me, but it does give you a clear idea of how they do the stunts.

 

IMG_7598

 

IMG_7627

 

Closing parade shot of you know who & his gang.   Aren’t they impressive looking?

 

IMG_7634

 

 

FRIDAY

On Friday we get back together to end our week  where it began, in the Magic Kingdom.  We again see the Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party.

 

IMG_5411

 

It moves down Main Street toward the castle square encouraging everybody to get dancin’

IMG_5417

 

 

Sheriff Woody seems to be trying to catch up with the party.

 

When it arrives in front of the castle everyone, including David and me, gets out in the street dancing.

 

IMG_5434

 

He’s got the moves all right.

 

IMG_5437

 

On the way to my birthday meet up we find members of the kingdom trying to pull the sword Excaliber from the stone.  This man is showing how difficult this test of strength and skill really is.  He is not a member of the cast, just someone from the audience but he was really GREAT!   I’d love to see Paul Dahl here.  Maybe we can plan a meet up at this spot one day.

 

IMG_5448

 

After great effort and many tries, he is unable to budge it.  Others try their hand and are equally unsuccessful.   But then………..

IMG_5449

 

Hurrah!!  A princess of the realm demonstrates her magic.  Wonderful memory being made here for her.

IMG_5454

 

All fast passes have an hour during which you can use them any time.  If you sign up for 2:40, for instance, you have from 2:40 to 3:40 to show up and your magic band will get you in.  After that, it’s like Cinderella at midnight.   But we make it to our Honey Pot and get to take a ride with Winnie the Pooh on a Blustery Day.

 

IMG_5392

IMG_5464

 

Then finally, it’s the real Pooh and he gives me a hug and wishes me a Happy Birthday.

IMG_5474

 

 

How great is this!   Eat your heart out Carrie!   And Celia too!!

IMG_5479

 

 

What could follow a birthday hug from Winnie the Pooh?  Well  nothing probably but the Muppets Great Moments in American History is a new fun show in Liberty Square.

 

IMG_5533

 

Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Great Gonzo and Sam Eagle, the fiercely patriotic American eagle who is forever trying to set a high moral standard for the Muppets, share their own unique take on the founding fathers as they recount the tale of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  The show takes place several times daily just outside The Hall of Presidents.

Sam looks on from the building next door as the Muppets try to control Miss Piggy and stick to the historical facts.

 

IMG_5536

 

Poor Sam just doesn’t think they are very funny but we sure do.

IMG_5537

 

IMG_5538

 

IMG_5541

 

IMG_5543

 

Of course everything turns out fine and the tale ends with a great patriotic song.

IMG_5549

 

Time’s up for this trip.  We take the train back to Main Street Station.

IMG_5400

 

The Grand Floridian looks beautiful as we sail away one last time headed for Fort Wilderness.

IMG_5557

 

Good bye to the camper’s decorations everywhere and to the jingling bells from the horse draw sleighs we hear long into the dark on the paths and streets, including our own.

 IMG_5564

 

IMG_5566

It’s definitely a happy happy fun place and especially wonderful at holiday time.

I may be always behind on my blog but I don’t want to be behind in wishing you all a Merry Christmas.  At this time of joy with family and friends, I am grateful for all of you, your friendship and your comments.  The very happiest of holidays to you every one!!

15 comments:

  1. Watching you go through a day at Disney makes ME tired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of Storm Troopers at Disney still seems perplexing!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas David and Sherry! Wishing you many more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas David and Sherry, wherever you guys are now. Low 80's in the parks today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All Wonderful days at Walt's biggest dream realized & well preserved in your post! So perfect that you got a personal Hug from Pooh too! I always figured Pooh would have been smaller than you - who knew? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful birthday hug you had from Pooh! He is coming home to Winnona with you to live on your dashboard, right? ;c)

    I'd love to meet up with you at WDW. Maybe the two of us could get that sword out of the stone if we tried together???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!!! Love the where we are photo of you and David!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! I spent my birthday at Disneyland every year from age 4-15 and it is the bestest. Thanks to David for his coverage of Hollywood - the Indy show looks very elaborate! Oh a hug from Pooh is hard to beat - good for you :-))) Looks like the Muppets are enjoying their time at Disney - I bet they're a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a wonderful holiday. Have been loving the Disney pics. Have an adorable picture of my youngest hugging Tigger and Disneyland. Have to find it somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am obviously a little behind and am reading back through the blog. I just absolutely love your blogs about Disney. Part of it is because I have never been there and part of it is that I am just a little surprised that y'all enjoy it as much as you do. I always wonder if it's even worth me going now at this age, but y'all give me encouragement. You do such a good job with the pictures and descriptions that I feel that I'm there and I want to see more. Some day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love when you visit Disney and think you're the kind of birthday Princess who could have pulled that sword. And Pooh was a special treat for a special lady. Belated, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you perhaps the crowd may be lesser the time you were there compared to your earlier visits.
    I m sure Celia and Carrie are green with envy watching you getting a hugged by Winnie :)
    I think you had the best idea of where to be on your birthday and get some holiday cheers at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Winnie hug...how fantastic is that?! And, Tigger too. Great for that little girl that she could pull the sword from the stone!! Nice to read about Dad's day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Winnie the Pooh! Winnie the Pooh! Silly willy bear all stuffed with fluff........ Glad you had fun! The Walt Disney movie would have been interesting.

    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!