Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

To the Point

Sunday and Monday November 12 & 13, 2017                                            Most Recent Possts:
Anastasia State Park                                                                   Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine
St. Augustine, Florida                                                      Fort Caroline National Memorial is a Lot More than a Fort



Anastasia Map



This morning after watching the sunrise I walk the length of the peninsula and back,  a 7 mile hike.   I’m starting from the red and gold star at the bottom and walking to the gold and red star at the top.  David was still asleep when I left so he didn’t join me.








Another beautiful dawn started my hike off perfectly.

IMG_5974



As I walk down the long boardwalk over the dunes, I can see the lighthouse light shining in the dawn sky.  It looks far away.

IMG_5979


It’s a red flag flying as I approach the stairs down to the beach.

IMG_5983


When I get to the steps I find that today there are only two of them and I’m going to be walking a sand hill down to the beach.



IMG_5987


IMG_6002



The sky is turning yellow as I head north up the beach.



IMG_6016


I keep checking over my right shoulder to judge the progress of the sun.


It rises up over a bank of clouds rather than directly over the water.


But then there it is sending its beam of light over the water to me and of course anyone else at any point up and down the beach.  I always find that amazing.




Lovely art.   I don’t get my footprints near it.   So beautiful without any intrusion.

IMG_6047



A group of sanderings, sandpipers and plovers are gathered along the shore.

IMG_6055


IMG_6073

IMG_6059



IMG_6076


Perhaps half way up I can see the lighthouse clearly

IMG_6071 



IMG_6079



Up in the air there are squadrons of pelicans.    Not sure I’ve ever seen groups larger than these and they just keep coming flying south down the beach sometimes over the water, sometimes over the dunes.





IMG_6093



But when I reach the point, I really can’t believe the gathering of  birds.  Everyone I’ve seen all day and more are there.  The stretch between the two yellow arrows on this picture.


IMG_6153



They don’t seem bothered by the size of the waves.

IMG_6138



IMG_6148





I know I’m at the point, the gathering of birds is on my right and straight ahead the sand ends and across the water I can see houses.   Lots of houses.


IMG_6156




Anastasia Map

Just a reminder of the map.  The houses I can see across the little straight are on the tip of land across from where I am.  Although it looks as though I could walk all the way around and back on the other side of the peninsula, what the map doesn’t show is that entire side is sand dune.  No walking there so I walk back the way I came.

IMG_6157


I am now walking into the sun.  The pictures I take of the congregation of birds turn out to be black and white without any selection on my part.  The smaller birds are much harder to see.  Looks like mostly pelicans.  But I like all three of the black and white.

IMG_6162


Footprints in the sand.

IMG_6165


Other fishermen also in black and white.

IMG_6170



Back across the boardwalk I see the lighthouse again.  Of course the light’s not on now but tomorrow we’re going over to see it up close.

IMG_6173



That night we have a big storm and the next morning walking over the boardwalk the clouds are pastel and the water is in giant ponds.  At least one wading bird has moved in.



Can you see him?   How about the itty bitty lighthouse on the horizon?




It’s a rainy, cloudy, windy, drippy day so we postpone the light house visit AGAIN.  The red flag is flying.  No swimming today. 


IMG_6195



18 comments:

  1. I just can't get enough of pelicans. They are my favorite sea bird. They look so ungainly, yet they fly in such perfect formations. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think your Florida posts are my very very most mostest favorite of all. I so love Florida, and so miss getting there. In the mean time, I'll dream along with your beautiful photos of your morning hikes, sunrises, and birds. I can smell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It's really good to see you in the comments again.

      Delete
  3. The choppy water is quite a sight to see. I'm impressed by the sand burying the staircase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed too. I didn't think it was THAT windy.

      Delete
  4. A great beach walk. Your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It was a wonderful walk and I just couldn't get all the birds in one picture without being too far away. Not sure what's so special about that spot.

      Delete
  6. The water looks so cold, and the morning looks cold. Was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually none of it is cold. The water is very wadeable (is that a word?) and even swimable I think except for the wind that would give you chills when you get out. Temps at night in the upper 50's and in the 70's during the day. But the wind on the water makes it feel cooler than that. But certainly not cold.

      Delete
  7. Every day at the beach is special...each is unique and always something to see!! Great photos and sure hope you get to that lighthouse eventually:o))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love your photos and these sunrise captures are just amazing! Love the single feather art and the bird with bubbles - wow!! This is such a beautiful place, I can see why you spent extended time here. Amazing to see the sand built up so deep. You need a dune disc to ride down to the water :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to start the day! Makes me think about getting up earlier:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sunrise photos are absolutely spectacular. And all those birds! Now you're getting me excited about returning to Florida this winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pelicans are Steve's favorite! You had quite a gathering of birds and I hope to experience your beautiful mornings with the birds one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bird pictures and the sun pictures and the ocean pictures and the sand pictures. All of it...divine!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!