Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Dominos and No Llamas

Monday July 23 & Tuesday July 24, 2018                                                     Most Recent Posts:
Great Smoky Mountain National Park                                                           Other Not So Pleasant News
Tennessee                                                                                                    Late Breaking NEWS!


As you know from my last post, David was in the hospital for 10 days and finally was released on Sunday. He is extremely weak and disoriented.  I haven’t been doing much at all since coming back to Virginia other than trying to get rid of my bronchitus, being at the hospital all day and now trying to keep on top of the PT and medications he is supposed to be taking.  So far he is sleeping most of the day when he’s not eating and simply doesn’t have the energy for the respiratory exercises and walking they want him to do. 

While he naps, in an attempt to have at least something in my records of all the absolutely wonderful hikes I took in the amazing Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I’m going to try to continue posting about them.  It brings happy memories into my life.


On Monday I foolishly suggested to Nancy and Bill that we play dominoes.   Of course, Bill won again and I lost again.  Oh well, it was fun just playing and laughing about it.

Notice the sly smile and thumbs up as he sits in front of one domino getting ready to play it.

IMG_9141


Let’s see if I can add that high.

IMG_9143




Map to trail headOn Tuesday it took me nearly an hour to go just over 20 miles to the Trillium Gap Trailhead for a hike to Grotto Falls and beyond.  I drove through the park to miss going through Gatlinburg.  

The trailhead is on the very popular Roaring Fork Motor Auto Trail which makes a circle through the former community of Roaring Fork and at the end goes by a large rock called The Place of 1000 Drips.  There are stops all along the way.  I did not stop on the Motor Trail either coming or going.  I was focused on my goal of seeing Grotto Falls before it was inundated with people..


Even with the drive, I was on the trail by 7:30 am.  Again the trail was rocky and rooty with several smaller falls along the way.

IMG_9154


IMG_9159


 



The Trillium Gap Trail to Grotto Falls is one of five trails which climb to Mt Le Conte.  The shortest, at 5.5 miles, is the Alum Cave Trail about which I have previously posted.  To take the Trillium Gap Trail to Mt Le Conte is less steep but 6.8 miles.

The large boulders on the trail obscure it from view until I’ve nearly reached it.




Grotto Falls is the only fallsin the park that you can walk behind and if you are lucky, which I was not, you might see the llama train walking behind the falls on its way to or from delivering supplies to the Mt Le Conte Lodge.


In this photo you can see the path that runs under the rock and behind the falls.  Imagine a llama train walking behind there.  The trail continues on up the mountain from here.


I was actually happy some other folks arrived since I wasn’t able to get  pictures like these with my camera without a second person to do it.

IMG_9220


IMG_9221


This picture is looking out from behind the falls.  It is just so cool to be able to be here both literally and figuratively.

IMG_9223


This picture is taken from the other side just before I finally move on up the trail


IMG_9231


One last look including the log jam at the top of the falls.  Here is a video that gives a better sense of being here.



Beyond the falls the trail is less well traveled.  



Some of today’s beautiful fungi.

IMG_9247IMG_9251


IMG_9261


As I wind around and around up the mountain I enjoy wonderful rock faces.


After I cross this stream I spot some scat that someone else hasn’t been so careful about.  I wonder if it came from the llamas?  Not sure who else it could be given its shape.

IMG_9268


IMG_9270



Some of the large boulders are covered with Rock Tripe.

IMG_9275


If you’ve ever hiked in the Appalachians, I’m sure you’ve seen it.

IMG_9276


I know that it is edible but have never tried it until today.  As you can imagine, it would be less tough cooked but I’d have to be pretty hungry and without food to eat more than one.

IMG_9278




From here I can turn onto Brushy Mountain Trail or continue on the   Trillium Gap Trail 3.6 miles to Mt. LeConte.  The Trillium Gap Trail comes from the exact opposite direction from the Alum Cave Trail.  I really wish I could have gotten reservations to stay at the lodge since I have done now two of the trails that ultimately go there..   Instead I head up to look out at the views from Brushy Mountain.


IMG_9282


It’s pretty clear that this is not a heavily traveled trail.  It’s also clear that it is a running stream in the rain.




It gets narrower and narrower as I go and all of the side greenery is still dripping with water.


It widens at points and the pictures do not do justice to the green of the moss covered banks as it winds in and out of rhododendron “hells”.

IMG_9303


The trail is also getting wetter and muddier as I go.

IMG_9311


Getting seriously muddy with no way to avoid walking in it.


I’m still climbing up to the point when I get my first views.  I’m hoping the clouds are lifting.

IMG_9317


But when I see the path that goes the last stretch to the top, it’s just too narrow and too muddy to continue so at this point I turn around.  I need a nicer and dryer day to do this trail to the top.

IMG_9321


As I head back, it’s cleared a little bit but I still can’t see the rolling ranges of mountains in the distance.  The skies are completely white.


The further I go, the more the clouds roll in to cover the mountains.   Here they are live in this video.

IMG_9332


On the way back I notice along the edge of the trail, red berries or buds that I didn’t see on the way up.  Not sure what they are but apparently they don’t mind having wet feet.

IMG_9335


They are quite profuse.  Could they be members of the heath family?



IMG_9337


One last picture from the Brushy Mountain Trail as I enter the Rhododendron tunnel


IMG_9342


When I return to Grotto Falls it is 11:30 and the crowds have arrived.  So glad I was here at 8:15 this morning.

IMG_9357


Going back down the trail from the falls to the car felt like being in a line in Disney World at one of their most popular rides during the holiday season.

IMG_9358


I would definitely do this hike again with two changes.  I’d have an over night reservation at Le Conte Lodge and I’d try to find out when the llama train heads up the mountain.

Thanks to gettyimages of the Charlotte Observer for this picture of what I didn’t see for myself
– this time.

551207700

16 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that David is back home, where he can rest and recover. I hope you're beginning to feel better, too, Sherry. You two have had a really rough time. I know your memories of your summer in the Smokies bring you joy, so keep on sharing the beauty and peace that you discovered. I've always thought it would be fun to do a backpacking trip with llamas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I was thinking of you a lot today. Glad to hear David is home as well. Such a gorgeous gorgeous hike to remember from your beautiful summer in the smokies! Big hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those beautiful falls to see and enjoy. Happy David is home and home you can recover your illness too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to read David is home. Better than going to the hospital everyday and being exposed to who knows what.
    I'm hoping we can do a trip to the Smokies someday. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update on David and you. Tough times, but hopefully being home will help his recovery. Great post and thanks for the photos of the Llama train...never saw that before!!! Would be great to see the Llama Train in person:o)) They must go quite early to beat you;o))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grotto Falls is a particular treat. You wonder what the llamas think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never saw a Llama train before, that's quite a sight to see (even if it's in a picture). I guess the mules are on strike? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Llamas instead of mules, who'd a thunk? :-) Glad David is home and resting. Did you get any of the hurricane rains and wind there in VA?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Home is where we heal and I'm glad you're both there. I hope you're sleeping a lot as well! Those falls and fungi make nice rewards for tackling the rocks and roots :-) I love the rock face photo, it just draws me in. I can't believe that crowd coming back!!! Holy schmoly what a difference. We (I) really have to start getting up and out earlier. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that both you and david get well very soon. It must be a very trying time for you both. We are keeping you both in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures. I wonder how the Smokies have fared with the hurricane nearby. I haven't yet looked at a big map to see how close Florence may have come to the Smokies, the the rains and winds can cover a lot of territory.

    Here's to renewed health to you and David!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like such a different world to me, walking under the tall trees, listening to the flowing water, and then walking behind a waterfall is the coolest. I see some tempting mushrooms along your trail as well, the Tripe not being one of them. The muddy trail is a bit much yet I like the foggy views but it would be nice to have clear views too. The returning crowd is a good reminder why we should all get that early start.

    I sure hope you and David are recovered and resting up for your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow. That trail looks like a path. I am sure that I would have thought that I had missed a turn. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The upside of being stranded due to sickness is that you are able to catch up with your blog, something to keep your mind busy and get distracted. But I sure hope that you and David will soon be out of your ailment.
    Sherry, you are so brave tasting that mushroom, I for one wont even touch them even if I know they are edible. The GSMNP is really a popular park, look at those people enjoying the waterfalls with you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rainy day here in OK, cards and board games are in order for the day. Great to hear David is home, hopefully he'll be back in fighting shape soon. I've seen the tripe when we've hiked out east in Appalachian Mtns, didn't know it could be eaten, would have to be real hungry to try it. Looks like a wonderful hike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neat hike! And, yes, with llamas, it would be even neater! I've always enjoyed walking behind falls. The mountain views are lovely even with the clouds. I wonder how lovely it'd look in fall - everything was so lush and green when you were there. Not sure I'd have tried the tripe - way to be adventurous!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!