Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Early Morning in the Meadow

Thursday June 25, 2015                                                                                       Previous Post:
Big Meadows Campground                                                                                The Limberlost and Skyland
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

 

 

It’s beginning to be my chosen morning  routine to go to the meadow for sunrise.  It’s just such a wonderful way to start the day.   Today it appears as though the clouds are trying to push the sun and its colors back down.  They form a nearly straight line just above the horizon. 

 

IMG_7624

 

 

IMG_7647

 

After taking way too many pictures of its various stages of rising, I start out walking down a path and enjoying the grasses and flowers all around me.   I see every stage of bloom.  

 

 

 

IMG_7679

 

I wonder what really is the difference between a meadow and a prairie. As you can see, these grasses are very tall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_7722

 

 

The sun casts its golden glow on the meadow.  It doesn’t last long but even with the clouds in the sky it looks as though a goddess has poured butter everywhere.

 

IMG_7725

 

 

IMG_7750

 

I share the field with many different deer this morning including this young male just getting a start on his antlers.

 

 

These Fly Poison are green at the bottom.  I’ve never seen that before.

IMG_7772

The field is full of them.

 

 

And of milkweed.  Can the monarchs be far behind?

 

This is the first buck I’ve seen in the mornings.  His antlers are completely velvet.

 

 

 

There have been doe with fawns each morning.  They watch me to make sure I’m not going to cause trouble and then proceed on their way.

 

 

 

The grasses are so tall they go in the way of this picture of the fawn on its hind legs peeking over the doe’s shoulder.

The fawn’s legs seem to have gotten much longer since last week or perhaps this is a totally different pair than I’ve seen.

 

IMG_7840

 

I wander around for nearly two hours and finally start to head back toward the road on this path when I hear voices, several voices.

 

IMG_7864

 

 

Actually, the two of us hear voices.  I’m probably 6 feet from the deer who isn’t paying much attention to me but she snaps to attention at the sound of the voices and I get numerous pictures of her as she stands absolutely still.  Only her ears are moving.

 

IMG_7862

 

We both relax when the horses and riders come in to view.  There are numerous horse trails in the park but I’ve never seen them out so early in the morning.

IMG_7895

 

IMG_7897

I wonder if you see more, or less wildlife if you are on horseback rather than on foot?

25 comments:

  1. Lovely deer photos!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  2. really, really great pics of your morning adventure. . .I always wonder why folks go out in nature, and then talk so loudly. . .what's the point really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, your photos are exceptionally beautiful! Loe looking at them on such a rainy day, for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pink and yellow tinges on the grasses and flowers is so delicate. I read the post as a whisper in my head so as not to break the spell. Lovely to spend time with your deer, I'm sure they enjoy it too. That young buck is so handsome :-) I imagine both the hawk and the mouse think their view of the same landscape is the best one, and probably the same is true of the rider and the walker. I'll take the walker these days I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! What a wonderful way to start your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. Lovely descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful views! The deer are certainly aware of you. I imagine not only do they hear, but they must smell the horses at a distance too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture of the buck with the velvet covered rack should be in a Nat Geo magazine, fantastic shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd bet less wildlife when on horseback. Lovely deer shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your early morning walks as your shots capture the serenity and solitude, except that we can't hear noises as you do.
    That is a great shot of the buttered meadow I can sense your exhilaration when you see that view.
    All deer shots are just beautiful captured as well as the sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would enjoy the fawn peeking over its mom's shoulder the most.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these pictures of the grasses, flowers and animals - I love those antlers and the beautiful mothers with their fawns. Nature is immensely beautiful. I bet you see less on a horse because other animals can hear you coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It certainly is a beautiful morning in the neighborhood:o)) Nature is absolutely amazing and your photos are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I rarely saw wildlife on horseback. The horses make plenty of noise as they go through brush. Not as much in grass but usually animals have a keen sense of hearing. Mostly we rustled up plenty of birds who were hiding in the brush and scared my horse, which in turn startled me when she jumped. Love the beautiful flowers and sunrise. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't remember ever seeing horses in Big Meadow. Not sure I like the idea of what they might be leaving behind for me to step on :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful meadow! Love the photos of the deer. I am tired of the rain here in the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my gosh - those velvet antlers and the babies - not to mention the gorgeous sunrise! The perfect morning I would say. Love the flowers in the nice light too. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Early morning in the meadow is a divine way to begin the day. Your photographs of the deer are wonderful, and so are the wildflowers. I'm always happy to see milkweed -- we used to encourage it to grow in our yard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Defintiely a great time to be in the meadow:) Beautiful flowers and adoroable deer! I love those young antlers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All those grasses are so lovely and give the deer a bit of cover. Seeing the velveted mule deer here also. I've heard that many animals don't see horses as a threat, even with a rider. A wonderful way to greet the day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful way to start your day. I think a prairie is bigger than a meadow but not sure. Meadow speaks to me of something a farmer might have. Prairie is vast...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very serene pictures of the meadow. Love the fawn's spots, they are so cute when they are little :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shot of the fawn, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!