Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

It’s Winnona’s Turn at the Hospital, but first……

June 28, 2015  Sunday                                                                                                   Most Recent Post:
Big Meadows Campground                                                                                        Side Trip to Shenandoah River State Park
Shenandoah National Park

 

 


 

Winnona has an appointment early tomorrow  at Cosner’s Body Shop Hospital in Charlottesville to have some repair done on her passenger side bumper where a post at Fort Clinch jumped up and banged into her back in November of last year.  She’ll have to stay most if not all of the week there. See her poor boo boo. 

But before we leave to go back down the mountain, even though it is foggy and has rained last night so it will be very wet, I spend sunrise in the Big Meadow.  

 

IMG_8174

 

I’m almost late this morning and the orange light is just peeping up over the horizon.  Looks like the dark clouds are only letting a sliver through.

IMG_8180

 

Soon it seems as though the clouds have surrounded the sliver as it tries to rise up.

 

IMG_8185

 

But of course that ball of fire will have its way and starts pushing all the clouds back up into the sky.

 

 

IMG_8218

 

And then it appears sending its spear like rays out into the meadow.

 

IMG_8230

 

IMG_8237

 

 

Soon the day has begun and I walk along the animal trails further into the meadow admiring the grasses and plants.

 

 

IMG_8242

 

The daisies are in bloom and the thistle is just on the cusp.

 

 

 

IMG_8247

 

IMG_8249

 

The view to the west shows the pink reflection of the western sunrise.

 

 

 

 

 

The sun shining on the meadow as it rises in the sky creates the golden hue on the grasses.

 

 

Today there is a trio of breakfasters.  Heads down, they are busy with their munching until one of them notices me.

 

IMG_8291

 

 

 

 

She’s got great ears or a great nose to notice me at this distance.  Can you see them in the picture below?  The camera does have a wide angle lens so they aren’t quite this far away and they don’t seem to mind when walking on along the path I come much closer to them.

 

IMG_8299

I love this picture with the colors of the sky and the sun shining right on them.

 

IMG_8302

 

They do look up to check on me now and then but return to breakfast.

 

IMG_8312

 

At some points I have to choose which fork.  They all seem to be the less traveled so this time I go left.

 

IMG_8306

 

 

 

 

The swath of pink in the photo above is these beautiful grasses.  I don’t know much about specific grasses but I think this is known as red top.  The meadow also has tall oat grass and indian grass.

 

IMG_8334

 

 

IMG_8327

 

There are green grasses too of course.  Timothy is green but flowers to pink.

 

IMG_8358

 

IMG_8404

 

Visiting the Tall Grass Prairie in Kansas helped me to see the amazing beauty and variety in the grasses.  I know I am enjoying Big Meadow much more thanks to having visited there.   If you know of a good book on grasses please recommend it as I’m looking for one.

The wind has picked up and the grasses are waving.  What a marvelous sight!  There are so many colors, bronze, golden, tan, green, pink. 

IMG_8373

 

IMG_8374

 

IMG_8375

 

And throughout, in their midst, the flowers grow.

IMG_8383

 

IMG_8401

 

 

 

IMG_8409

 

IMG_8421

 

I’m so busy with the grasses I don’t notice the dark clouds moving in but they too change the atmosphere and colors.

 

IMG_8423

 

IMG_8424

 

As I turn in the direction of home, I come upon a boys club.  First I see one.

 

IMG_8436

 

Then two.

IMG_8459

 

IMG_8470

 

IMG_8476

 

And finally three.

IMG_8484

 

They all have their eyes on another deer and aren’t paying any attention to me. 

 

IMG_8488

 

I just love their velvety antlers.

IMG_8492

 

This meadow is quite a bit different than it was in the days of the CCC Camp in the 1930’s.  No signs of them now other than this one.

 

IMG_8370

 

My morning here is over. 
Time to get on the road and down the mountain.
Wish Winnona Luck! 
And cross your fingers that it doesn’t get into the 90’s while we are down in the foothills.

 

 

THE END

IMG_8461

25 comments:

  1. Just love the velvety antlers of the boys. Nice sunrise pictures and good luck with Winnona's fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you had a good stroll...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the deer photos! Nice that you have so many trails there to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great morning light in those photos, doesn't hurt having such great things to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful morning!! Makes it a little bit tougher to go down the hill;o(( Sure hope Winnona gets fixed up quickly and you can return to your little paradise in the mountain!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pictures and you have a beautiful place to take them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a glorious way to spend a morning! Fingers crossed for Winnona!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how fast trees and posts can move! What I fail to understand is why they dislike RVs:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures of grass and flowers and frolicking deer....I love that look you caught even from so far away. Impressive!! Lovely walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many pretty pictures! I love what you've captured - those beautiful velvet antlers and sweet babies and the flowers! Thanks for sharing all of this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you can look at some of the simplest things and see such beauty. I love those deer momma and the babies and then the boys with their lovely new set of antlers. It looks so peaceful and quiet there.

    Hope all goes well with Winnona!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so lovely how the meadow changes colors with the sunrise as well as with the light wind. I too find grasses have a special beauty. We saw a single young buck in Florence, his antlers soft and velvety like those, but it was a quick encounter. Your deer look so safe and happy in the meadow - I love their warm tawny color in the sunrise. Winnona will be so happy once she's all tucked up in back :-))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those bo bo's can really add up. We are at the Tiffin Maintenance facility awaiting a repair. Life goes on..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Big Meadows. Heavenly. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful morning meadow walk -- the sunrise casts such a gorgeous light on the grasses. Great photos of the doe and fawns and the bucks with their velvet-covered antlers. Thanks for the peaceful images. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love your morning walks, for you capture not only the morning light but all the beauty that you captured surrounding you. The waving grasses is something I really would like to experience. I am imagining from your description what it was like when you see them waving with the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a special morning walk with the first light glowing all around. I too have a fascination with grasses yet know nothing. Love to see the tall stalks waving in ripples. Our mule deer bucks are also showing velvet. Hope Winnona heals rapidly and you don't bake.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!