Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

What a Surprise

Friday April 14, 2016                                                                      Most Recent Posts:
Walt Disney World                                                                        
Difficult Issues – Escaping in Disney
Orlando, Florida                                                                             Wednesday – A Multi Split Day

 

I know it seems like we are never going to leave Disney World but we are. Today is our 6th and last day and then it’s back to the real world where it isn’t always magical. 

IMG_6761But for now we’re still here and on our last day we end our stay at the same place we began it,  in the incredibly MAGICAL Kingdom.

We take a few selfies and mostly they are terrible but they are so funny I’m using them anyway so beware.

Here’s how we spend our day. 

First we take the boat at Fort Wilderness and sit outside and up front in the wind right behind some first timers.  We chat with them and they are so excited.  What fun they are going to have.

 

 

When we arrive, we hop on the double decker bus.  If you’ve seen the details on Main Street from the ground level many times as we have, we highly highly recommend this as a wonderful way to get up Main Street and see everything from a high perch.  Of course you have to sit up top.

 

IMG_6762

 

Wish every town had such a picturesque City Hall and town clock.

IMG_6764

 

This is the opening crowd wandering down Main Street.  The traffic slows down when the all spread out and only begins to pick up around 10:30 or 11am.

 

IMG_6767

 

The closer to the castle we get, the nearer the crowd we are.

IMG_6768

 

IMG_6769

 

IMG_6771

 

IMG_6772

 

Looks like we are going to drive right up and into the castle doesn’t it?

 

But we’re not and this is the end of the line.

IMG_6778

 

 

I couldn’t arrange fast passes for David which is one of the many reasons to arrive early.  There are short lines now.  David recreates his roller coaster series from Animal Kingdom here starting with Splash Mountain and moving on to Big Thunder Mountain.  Luckily they are pretty close together.

 

 

Notice the no people at the stand by entrance.

IMG_6779

 

IMG_6780

 

 

Heads up Carrie!  Here comes Big Thunder Mountain with the Liberty Belle in the background.

 

IMG_6785

 

IMG_6787

 

And here come the surprise.  We seriously could not believe this.   THE high school band from our REALLY RURAL high school in Nelson County Virginia is Marching in Disney World and we get to see them.  What are the odds??.  They are the Marching Govenors and I have no idea how in the world these kids and their families could possibly pay for this trip.   But it just brings tears to my eyes. What a thrill for these kids.  Right through Liberty Square they come.

 

 

IMG_6790

 

IMG_6791

 

Pretty sure every kid in the school must be in the band.

IMG_6792

 

IMG_6793

 

IMG_6794

 

Well that made my day. What a surprise. Wishes Really Do Come True for the band from Nelson County High School!

IMG_6796

 

 

 


Back to defeating the Villains who want to take over Disney World.  Two not very likely looking Sorcerers here.20160415_165848

 

It really is fun and the story lines are great.  Hades is the villain here.  I’m casting my spell on his minions

IMG_6799

 

IMG_6800

 

Well he doesn’t look very excited but he is going to ride on the Magic Carpet with me.  Way to go David!  I know it isn’t Splash or Thunder Mountain.   You are such a good sport, truly.

 

IMG_6803

 

IMG_6804

 

Can you see the bubbles?  They come from a camel.

IMG_6805

 

This camel faces out from the magic carpet and he sprays water.

IMG_6807

 

This is the bubble camel facing this way but not blowing bubbles at the minute.

IMG_6808

 

IMG_6809

 

 

Back on the ground and all throughout the Magic Kingdom are flowers and works of art.  Or at least that’s what I think of them as.

 

IMG_6813

 

IMG_6814

These “sculptures” are really drums and tapping on them makes wonderful sounds.  How clever.

 

I do manage to get a fast pass for Pirates of the Carribean and it’s our time though we don’t look much like pirates either.

20160415_105515

 

 

 

IMG_6817

 

Our boat takes us past the pirate ship, through several of their “incidents” and ends with Handsome Jack Sparrow.

 

 

One thing about this ride reminds me of It’s a Small World.  THE SONG – Yo Ho, Yo HO, A Pirate’s Life for Me.  I’ll be singing that little ditty all day long now.

 

 

There he is, the pirate king and all his treasure…….Yo Ho, Yo HO……..

 

When we step outside the Pirate recruitment show has just begun.  What a coincidence.  Yes I saw it just the other day but David didn’t and these two actors are really great with the kids.

 

IMG_6835

 

To be a pirate you must know how to use a sword.

IMG_6841

 

 

You must swear an oath to your captain.

IMG_6843

 

IMG_6848

 

And learn to sing the song.

 

Not exactly Captn Hook and Smee but in the same tradition.

IMG_6852

 

For my second choice after the Magic Carpet, I pick the carousel.  Yea, Yea, I know, kiddie rides.  But that’s me.

 

IMG_6861

 

Just outside the carousel are topiaries of Alice in Wonderland.

IMG_6891

 

David’s turn with the villains. He uses his magic band to bring up his next challenge.  Unfortunately none of my pictures of him actually taking on the bad guys came out.

IMG_6885

 

David would like to do Space Mountain and the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train but again we were too late for fast passes and it’s way too late to stand in line for stand-by.  Check out both lines now.

IMG_6889

 

 

I drop my jaw when I see the wait time for the Seven Dwarfs.  People actually wait 2 hours for a 5 minute ride?  Really??

IMG_6892

 

Well it’s another afternoon shower so we take refuge for a late lunch at the Columbia Harbour House.  I know, I ate there just a couple days ago but their New England Clam Chowder is something David has to try.  Why does one or the other of us always seem to have these scrunched up looks on our faces??

 

20160415_150226

 

 

 

Lobster Roll and Clam Chowder.  Wish I were going to Acadia this summer.

IMG_6896

 

Well enough rain.  Time for us to head back down Main Street before we get drenched.

IMG_6897

 

It’s an early exit tonight but after 5 days we’re heading back to get packed up for our move tomorrow.

IMG_6898

 

We wave to Daisy in the kitchen.

IMG_6899

 

And we say goodbye and thanks for a great time to the Magic Kingdom as we pull away from the dock

 

Back in the front of the boat again. 
Nothing compares to Disney World for taking your mind off of all your cares and worries even when it’s raining.

 

20160415_171809

16 comments:

  1. Yes, there are plenty of people who wait over two hours for a ride; I'm not one of them! LOL. So happy you had such a good time, and Celia is one lucky little girl to have such fun grandparents :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandson' s band,flag corps and drum corps all voted to make Disney their first choice for class trip. They took two years to raise the funds, Disney comped them on hotel rooms in return for twice daily marches and all had oodles of fun, save the chaperones. They were kept busy coping with raging hormones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific experience to get to see your local high school band!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very cool to see your home town band and what an awesome experience for them. Pirates of the Caribbean is one of my favorite rides. In fact I love all the "kiddie" rides. Maybe that's because we're just kids in grownup bodies. Your selfies sure are better than mine. So long Disney, until next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sssspalsh Mountain is my all time favorite ride, and both my grandsons agree with me, too. Now if I can just figure a way to stay dry on it... ;c)

    Thanks for the tour of WDW, we sure love it there, but like you won't stand in any two hour long lines. One of these days we'll get to the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ride, it's even hard to get a Fast Pass for it. I've read where the FPs are usually all booked two months in advance on line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like another magical day in the Magic Kingdom! I enjoy seeing all of the fanciful creations at Disney through your lens—it really does transport you into another realm, doesn't it? Pirates of the Caribbean and the Magic Carpet ride are just my speed, too. :-) So amazing that the band from your local high school happened to be there! Seems like a great ending to your week at Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the bubble spitting camels are my favorite kind! It's the little quicky things like that make the Disney experience so genuine. I really do need to get to DW someday soon. Pirates is such a fun ride, hard to remember it inspired the movie franchise, and not the other way around. It is especially difficult to imagine little ones having the patience to wait 2 hours for a ride although I guess sleeping in a stroller beats standing the whole time. The carousel is still one of the best rides of forever! I teared up over the hometown marching band - what a wonderful treat to be there to enjoy them, and to share in their grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain Sparrow certainly looks the part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the tour at Epcot and Disneyworld. I really enjoyed reading your experiences there coupled with great detailed pictures and I am sad the Disney series is over :(
    Since I adore Captain Sparrow, I would enjoy the Pirates ride and skit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renewing our pass for sure after this series of fantastic posts. Even have a few new things I have not seen before, great exploring. What are the odds on that band being there at the same time as you? Great pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After five days at Disney I have to give you high marks. You look as happy on the last day as you did on the first!

    I've been thinking about you since your last post, and hope the issues you mentioned can be solved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again you brought back memories of my childhood in Disneyland. I loved the Pirates ride, the song, the dog with the keys. The 7 Dwarves mine ride was one of my favorites, but back then it was 'E' tickets and no lines for anything that I recall. How cool that your local high school band was there! Did you know anyone?
    Hope your issues are resolving..hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys have way to much fun at Disney....I'm afraid I could never get passed all the planning it takes to make sure you have a good time. I would definitely need a tour guide. I have missed what you two are doing this summer so I'll just have to follow blindly along. We are headed for the wilds of Montana...With no definite plans. Hugs all round....am anxious for some pics of the sweet baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun! Must be hard to leave there - although, I bet some days are tiring, especially if there are 'too' many people. 120 minute wait for a ride...good grief! I think it's great that you do the kiddie rides and Dad too - why no? They're fun! So neat to have seen the Nelson County High Band! Looked like they were doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Things have certainly changed sine we were there in '96. Don't think I'd wait 2 hours for a ride. How cool to see your local high school band there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have totally enjoyed visiting Disney with you! It has been way too long since I was there. A teacher I taught with worked at Disney during Christmas and summer breaks as different characters. He loved it! Thanks for the great blog you share with us.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!