Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Alum Cave Hike with Nancy & Bill

Wednesday July 18, 2018                                                            Most Recent Posts:
Great Smoky Mountain National Park                                          Abrams Falls in Cades Cove
Tennessee                                                                                   West Prong and Finding the Walkers



Today Nancy has planned a hike to Alum Cave.  Bill drives and I tag along as usual.  It is such a treat for me to know nothing about a trail other than what Nancy has told me or tells me as we go.  Otherwise I have to do the research myself and find out all about it before I do it.  Now I how David feels in being surprised by things I know about from my research when we hike.

This trail is the shortest way to LeConte Lodge  on top of Mt. LeConte.  It is the only lodge in the park and only reachable by hiking to it.  It has no electricity and is a very popular place requiring reservations well in advance.  Thus the parking lot has over night cars as well as day hikers.  There are five other ways to get to Le Conte but this is the shortest.

We’re taking the yellow trail up to Alum Cave which on this map is correctly listed as Alum Cave Bluff.  More on that later.   The trail continues on as a white trail and ends at the top of Mt. Le Conte.  Sure wish I’d thought about trying to get reservations.  I’d love to do it even at $148 a night meals included.  You only live once and I’d love to talk to the people who work there.  Do they hike up every day?



IMG_8202
Immediately we cross Alum Cave Creek and then follow it for about the first mile over a fairly gentle grade. 

Just before reaching the first milestone on this great trail , however, the trail begins following the Styx Branch. This section of trail is tight with rosebay rhododendron, which I imagine offer fabulous blooms during the early summer.





IMG_8203


I’m amazed at the big trees along this trail.  Surprise number one.

IMG_8206


IMG_8207


Nancy puts this one in perspective.  The trail was closed during the week for two years in 2015 and 16 order for the Trails Forever Program, an arm of  Friends of the Smokies, to do major trail restoration.  And boy did they.  This is an outstanding and very active group without which I just am not sure how the park would manage since they collect no entrance fees.  Those of us who hike the trails here are seriously in their debt. Check out their web page.  You’ll be amazed.




IMG_8226


Along the way, we normally step aside for people coming up behind us in order to have some space between us on a popular trail like this.   But we stopped to talk to this hiker and marvel that he was on his way to the lodge on a titanium leg and foot.  He said he’d just gotten it and was getting used to the fact that it was a bit heavier than he was used to.  I sure do admire him for going right on with the life he wants to live and the things he wants to do.



There are many nice footbridges as we cross back and forth across the waterways.  Some are wide with rails on both sides.  Some are on log bridges.


IMG_8245


I love the water music accompanying our hike and wondered at what looked like the end of a log but turned out to be a rock that somehow the water had carved out.  I can only assume that this was done over a very long time during much high water but I thought it was another of the amazing and interesting things I always find on the trails I hike.  If you have an explanation for how this happened I’d love to hear it.  Nature is just amazing!


IMG_8239


IMG_8240


IMG_8241



The recent renovations show in the wires stabilizing the railing which is not leaning so much as others I’ve walked across

IMG_8255


You just never know what you’ll see.  Unusual tree decorations.

IMG_8244


My second surprise comes at almost a mile and a half along the trail.  I think this must be Alum Cave.  Looks like a Cave doesn’t it?


IMG_8262





IMG_8265

But actually we’ve reached Arch Rock.  It’s pretty incredible.  The arch is a large concentration of black slate that was formed by freezing and thawing, which eroded away the softer rock from underneath the harder rock. The trail actually goes under the arch and requires a climb of steps etched into the stone before exiting at the top.   Hats off to whoever originally put those steps in.   This is one of many times on this trail that I wish I had hiked it before the restoration in order to see the “before”.


IMG_8266


The steps continue out the other side of the arch and up to another bridge.
I probably counted the number of steps either coming or going but I don’t remember now.

IMG_8271



IMG_8274


At the far end of the bridge at the top of Arch Rock is a lovely stand of bright red Fire Pink.  Why in the world is it named pink??


IMG_8279




IMG_8286

Beyond Arch Rock the trail begins ascending towards Alum Cave.  We are remember climbing Mt LeConte.

We get our first views out little windows toward Anakeesta Ridge  And then we reach what is known as Inspiration Point, a heath bald that offers views of Little Duck Hawk Ridge to the west and Myrtle Point near the top of Mt. LeConte towards the northeast.

Unfortunately for me, the sun was in THE wrong place for getting the waves of mountains without distortion.  I really need to find some filters that fit this lens.  The ones I had that were supposed to be for this camera never would screw on fully and they kept falling off so eventually they disappeared.  Maybe Eric or Laurel can tell me where to get them. 


In any case, I like this picture despite its distortion.

IMG_8290


These two from further down the trail are sharper but the clouds are threatening to cover up the peaks.



IMG_8297


On we go up more erosion protecting steps.  I really hope everyone realizes how important it is not to walk beside the steps but rather on them.


Nancy tells us we need to be looking for something known as The Eye of the Needle, a hole in the rock near the top of Little Duck Hawk Ridge.  That’s the dark gray ridge in the foreground below.


IMG_8310


Eventually I think it was Bill with binoculars who spotted it toward the  left end of the rock.  Or think that’s it..  Out west they’d call this an arch. 

IMG_8312


Pretty shortly it’s a white out.

IMG_8314



Then it clears enough that Nancy spots another one on the right hand end.  So which one is it?  Nancy says nobody mentioned two arches in what she read.   The more the merrier I say.

IMG_8316


Continuing on, the trail drops and Bill, in the lead,  looks rather far away


IMG_8324


Down and then back up.


Here is definitely one of the problems of not writing your blog posts immediately.  I have no idea what Bill is pointing to on that huge rock face which has had a minor landslide.  Good spot to stop on the way up what seem like never ending steps.

IMG_8331



And then here we are.  It’s a HUGE wall of rock and looks like it belongs in the desert southwest.  Because it is on the edge of this ridge, you cannot step back far enough away to give any idea of the side of the massive rock face.  I’m stunned.  This is not what I expected at all.

IMG_8337


We head up the stairs to the flat “floor” which is at least 30 or 40 feet up from the trail at the bottom.

On the stairs is a local resident red squirrel who later goes from person to person on the flat above looking for lunch handouts.  Clearly he has been successful enough as he’s quite a pest.


IMG_8338


Red squirrels are smaller than gray squirrels, larger than chipmunks and live mostly in Northern areas where they feed on the seeds of conifer cones unless they have developed bad habits.


IMG_8340



IMG_8341



IMG_8342



IMG_8333Looking down from part way up to the “floor”, I can see the Mount LeConte trail continuing on around to the right.  Most people stop here before carrying on which is why there are so many folks having a snack at 10am.  They have 2.7 more miles to go to the 6593 foot summit of Mout LeConte.  Dinner will be waiting for them unless they are among the many 10 mile round trip day hikers.  We actually spoke with a man on his way up, saw him come back down and when we approached the parking lot we passed him going up again.  I’d say he was at least 60 years old.   WOW, 20 miles.  Maybe he’s training for an AT Thru hike.  20 mile days would definitely do it.


IMG_8345

As is clear, Alum Cave really isn't a cave, but is actually a concaved bluff, about 80 feet in height, and roughly 500 feet in length. So technically it should be called Alum Bluff.   During the warmer months of the year water drips off from the ledges above. In the winter these droplets turn into large icicles.  We did get “dripped” on as we left.

The Epsom Salts Manufacturing Company was established at Alum Cave in 1838 by three farmers from Oconaluftee. Until it was sold in 1854, the company mined alum, magnesium sulfate, saltpeter, magnesia and copperas from the walls.  Epsom Salts were used by mountain folk to dye homespun clothing a reddish brown. I’ve read that during the Civil War the Confederate Army began mining saltpeter from the cave, which they used to manufacture gunpowder. The history of the Civil War in this area of Tennessee is very interesting.  Tennessee was the last state to suceed from the union but 80% of the folks in Seviere County, mostly subsistance farmers were not in favor.  It was a Pro Union area in a Confederate State.  If you are interested, here’s the link I found.



Bill and Nancy find a rock ledge and take a load off.  No squirrel treats here.

IMG_8357


I wander around trying to get a picture that shows both the deeply cut ledge and the mountains.  My automatic lens has a very hard time. 

IMG_8363


IMG_8364


Eventually it’s time to head back down the steps.  This makes Nancy happy.  She likes down.



IMG_8377



IMG_8378


It’s later in the day, we’re going the opposite direction and the views are slightly different.  But still the clouds come in and go out.  That’s what they mean by Smoky.

IMG_8381



Nancy and I have decided this one that she found is the “real” eye of the needle.  It looks different with the blue/white sky behind it than it does from this angle with the green behind it.  Harder to find in the zoom lens with the green.

IMG_8388


It’s great to get out early since you miss the crowds on most trails, this one being the exception becasue of the early Mount LeConte climbers.  But later in the day usually has clearer views.  What to do, what to do?

IMG_8391



Bill waits for us to catch up while chatting with a group of people who have discovered what Nancy thinks is a Black Rat Snake and I agree.  There were actually two of them wound around the leaves in the sun just off the trail.  For sure they were not one of the two poisonous snakes in the Smokies, the Northern Copperhead and the Timber Rattlesnake.  Both of those have very distinct markings.

IMG_8395


IMG_8397

 


Heading back down and through the really fun Arch Rock.  Still looks like a cave from here.

IMG_8411


IMG_8412


Coming out, I can’t see what’s on the other side.

IMG_8413


But I’m not surprised that we are joined by dozens of our new best friends.

IMG_8414


Alum Creek serenades us for the final distance.  It’s been a great hike that I would for sure do again and perhaps even earlier or after the school year has begun though with LeConte Lodge at the top, there may not be a time when there aren’t a lot of people on this trail.  It’s worth doing anyway.  Thanks again Nancy for doing all the research and Bill for driving.  It’s great to have a free day with friends.

IMG_8419


.

14 comments:

  1. We hiked to LeConte Lodge in the late 80s. Took the 8 mile Boulevard trail up and came down the Alum Cave trail the next day. My dad was camped with us but didn't hike to the lodge so we had a shuttle. We enjoyed our evening at the lodge, but it rained the entire way back down so we didn't get to see all those great views that you did on your hike. If I remember correctly it cost around $70 per person back then. You would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down...that was my favorite hike in The Smokies. It had it all. The only things that could possibly make it a better hike would be less people (I'm not a good sharer) and if we could go DOWN in both directions;-)) Yep, I love the DOWN!!! Great photos and wonderful memories...Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a trail to follow! Beautiful views!

    The fellow with the prosthetic was unexpected. It's gotten to the point where prosthetic limbs are on par with the real thing. I read an article recently about a fire fighter who's gone back on the job after losing a leg above the knee. It's a matter of getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great hike. Nice to have a someone else due the research for a change, I bet:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have someone else plan a hike for you! Especially someone you can trust to choose a great hike. :-) That one was a beauty, and I'm sure having such good company made it all the better. As far as a recommendation for a filter, we don't use any. I just avoid shooting into the sun, change my position, or partially block the sun with a tree. And sometimes nothing works. I think I need to research filters, too, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Incredible rock formations. Nice of Nancy to plan that all for you. We saw a glacier in Alaska called LeConte. Hmm, wonder if named for same person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was one amazing hike, made even better by going with Nancy and Bill. The trail steps were amazing, think of all the effort that must have been done to make them hiker friendly. Sort of a special "Walk in the Park"! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally impressed with the trail work. For anything camera, try B&H Photography online. I really like the shots of the cavern and open area. You just need to pull the shadows out a little. I thought you were going to the lodge?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just looking at all those stairs makes me cringe! Love the pics of Arch Rock - it looks like a magical place. People who maintain these trails are real angels. This one looks especially well done. What a treat to see the snake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic trail! I love all the bridges and those very cool stairs. We will definitely have to check this out if we should return to this area to hike. Very interesting about the Epsom Salts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful hike, but looks VERY strenuous! I admire your stamina, on those many steps (just think if it had been all rock and no steps…you would definitely need some Epsom Salts, afterwards). And, WOW, the Alum “cave” ledge is massive!

    Fire pink: I agree it’s definitely not pink, but I do see a lot of pink in that red. There’s a color, padparadscha, that I first heard of recently, that is a combination of red, pink and orange (I think the word is literally the name of a type of sapphire, but has now begun to be used more widely for the color itself). Anyway, they are gorgeous!

    I love the photo from when you’re on the way down, of the trail with the filigree of exposed tree roots in the moss- very beautiful! And the Tree-hug photo near the beginning — so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is something else. So fantastic. I haven't been to the Smokies since I was in junior high and we didn't really hike because the weather was so bad -- rain constantly. I would love to see this. I, too, like down better than up and those stairs look like a challenge. Still, from your description, I believe it's worth it. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great hike and post. So much to see along the way.Nice you could be surprised by it all. A lot of upkeep required. So glad there are folks who care enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!