Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Abrams Falls in Cades Cove

Monday July 16, 2018                                                                             Most Recent Posts:
Great Smoky Mountain National  Park                                                     West Prong & Finding the Walkers
Tennessee                                                                                               Treemont-An Old Friend with Falls #8


I arrive at the beginning of the loop road at 7am and the cars are already lined up.  Apparently folks are willing to get out early to do this drive.  They open the drive to cars at Sunrise every day except Wednesdays and Saturdays.  Today that was at 6:32am.

Pay no attention to the bird decoration that happened on my window as I was taking this shot of the line in front of me. 

I have about 5 miles of this before I get to the gravel road that leads to the Abrams Falls Trailhead.


I’m the only one who turns off here and the first one to an empty parking lot despite that it took me 20 minutes to go 5 miles.

IMG_8045



The trailhead is at the site of a former guest lodge run in the 1920’s by John Oliver whose cabin you can reach if you take a right fork rather than a left after you cross the bridge. 


The bridge across Abrams Creek is substantial.  Apparently the creek can be seriously mighty and they don’t want to have to replace the bridge.


At first the trail runs relatively level along the creek before it begins to climb.

IMG_8053


It then rises and passes over a pine ridge, drops back down near the creek and then rises again.
Up and down it goes 4 times through beautiful forest scenerey. It weaves around the ridges of the area while roughly following the creek.  


At this point, I can see the creek below me as I climb.   Though it is mostly nearby, the thick foliage often blocks my view of the water.  Still, I can always hear its beautiful sound.



Rocks and roots of course.


IMG_8058


I drop down again to a one log bridge over Arbutus Branch one of the tributaries of Abrams Creek.


Another slanted rail on a perfectly flat bridge.


IMG_8069


Now whose print is this?  It’s almost as big as my shoe.



I’m headed back up to Arbutus Ridge.  I’d sure love to be here in the early spring if the name sake plant is blooming.  What a scent!


And then down again.  These big thin layered outcrops on such a slant always make me wonder how they got that way and are they slate?  Sue?



IMG_8081


I make it up  to Arbutus Ridge for a few views.

IMG_8087


No blue skies or puffy white clouds today.  No famous waves of mountains to be seen.


But then it’s back down to a foot bridge across another tributary, Stony Branch

IMG_8093


These guys really stand out.

IMG_8104


Down and up a third and final ridge.  None of the grades are terribly steep so I find this a wonderful trail to hike even with its ups and downs.

IMG_8106


I suspect that’s Wilson’s Creek below me at this point.  Another of the many tributaries.



When I get down, I find this longer bridge crosses it and the warning sign tells me the falls is near.  In the trail description I used, it said  on the other side further along, there was a short side trail to the left that goes up to the top of the falls but I sure didn’t see it.

IMG_8119


But I do find the side trail going off to the foot of the falls.


I get my first look at the falls which plunges 25’ into a large pool.  It sure looks more like a river than a creek. 

IMG_8121



I’m told that the plunge pool is over 100 feet long and nearly the same in width.  Apparently, the pool is deep near the falls and has a very strong under current.  At least two drownings have been recorded here relatively recently so swimming is not a great idea however inviting it looks.  If you’d like to see and hear the falls, watch this short video.

IMG_8123


I make my way around carefully hoping to get a straight on shot of the falls and also hoping to find the exit creek.  I’ve heard there have been otters here.  Operative words are “have been”.  Not today sadly.

IMG_8133


A closer look shows  how big the tree that didn’t quite go over really is.

IMG_8136



I’m starting to consider making my way through the log jam.

IMG_8138


Looking at it from the pool its quite a log obstruction at the point the pool empties into the creek.


IMG_8153


The force of the water actually creates ripples as it moves toward the exit to the creek.

IMG_8154



I’m behind the log jam and on the creek at this point giving me a less angled view but cutting off the pool.

IMG_8140


Sitting on one of the logs does afford me a good view of  the smaller streams of water coming over the ledges.  I couldn’t see these from the side in my first view.   They add to its beauty I think.  This picture also includes the first people to join me at 9am. 

IMG_8146


I move back around to the side and take this selfie.  My hair is actually pretty wet from the spray of the falls.  It’s chilly down here as well.  Those two logs behind me, beside and hanging over the falls, will probably join the log jam before next year this time.


IMG_8160



It’s just after 9:30 when I leave the falls for my up and down hike back to the car.

IMG_8165


I spot a couple of things I didn’t see on my way in including this money plant.  Seems that I used to see them often in the Appalachian woods but I haven’t for a long time.

IMG_8166

One last fungi for the lovers among us.

IMG_8168


I pay more attention to the waters on my way back.  I know for sure where I’m going now.

IMG_8170


I have a hard time calling these creeks but they are lovely.  18 creeks and branches flow into Cades Cove to form Abrams Creek which is the only water exit from Cades Cove.

IMG_8173


IMG_8172



IMG_8174


Back at the parking lot, I’ve clearly been joined by a lot of other folks since I was the first car in the lot this morning.

IMG_8178


The gravel road coming off the loop road and  leading to the falls trailhead is half mile long.  It seems shorter going out than it did coming in.  The skies are starting to look a little iffy.

IMG_8182



The Abrams Falls trail head is located about half way around the 11 mile loop road and it is one way so I have to get in line and go the rest of the way around.   I stop at the Cades Cove Visitor Center since I’m here. 



It’s part of the Cable Mill Area which contains  the buildings that would have been part of a working farm here in the late 1800s.  A map of the area taken from the Cades Cove Auto Tour booklet shows the placement of the buildings.

The grist mill is on its original historic site but the other buildings were moved here from elsewhere in the park..  It’s a very complete and interesting complex which I’ve visited before so I don’t visit today.  It’s nearing noon and there are too many people.   I’m not sure when you could come and have fewer people.  Spring maybe or much later in the afternoon since cars are lined up for the drive when they open the gate at sunrise.


I do snap a photograph of the picturesque Gregg-Cable house and then set out again on the loop road.  I’d have taken a picture of the barn had it been visible from the walk to the visitor center.

IMG_8188


Traffic, of course,  is backed up as cars move at about 10mph or less trying to take in everything without stopping.  Many do pull over at stops in the tour if they can or slow WAY down hoping for a parking place so they can stop.  While I wait,like the rest of the tourists,  I can get a view of the mountains that surround this valley without getting out of my car.

IMG_8196


My last shot from Cades Cove today is pretty much the same as my first.  And I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

IMG_8197

17 comments:

  1. The early bird....etc, etc, etc!!! Just love to be the first one out on a trail. That is particularly special when the reward is having the falls all to yourself:o)) We love everything (except the traffic) about Cades Cove. I always feel like I have stepped back in time when I am there!! Thanks for taking me back again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that is mud, that looks the size of a bear print to me, but the lack of claw marks suggests maybe not. Great bridgework love those long single log crossings! Looks like the rains have been good for the cascades & falls! This all looks so familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the beauty of Cades Cove from many, many years ago...it still looks like a very special place. You've really hit the jackpot with the gorgeous falls this year. Surprising that cars are already lined up at 7:00 a.m. Just when I was thinking that was early enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6:30 is better most places but 7:00 will sometimes do. Not in Cades Cove though. I'd like to come before sunrise some morning just to see if the first car in line is already there. HA!

      Delete
    2. If anyone can get there before sunrise, it will be YOU!! :-))

      Delete
  4. You are such a trooper, Sherry. Day after day of hiking slippery rocky trails with foggy skies and too many people. I think I might have burned out by this time if it were me. I'm not as committed to hiking day after day. You are also a trooper about blogging about it and taking all those photos and writing about them. It doesn't seem that you ever get tired of the up close forest views, hidden waterfalls, crossing streams, and climbing over rocks. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Even on the most popular trails, because I'm out early, I don't run into too many people until I'm on my way back or already at the parking lot. I love to hike, love to be in the forest and have no idea what I'd do with my day that would be better.

      Delete
    2. Unlike folks like me, now housebound, with yard chores and gardening which I do love, quilting which I love, and all sorts of other little things that are fun for me and fill my days.

      Delete
  5. Love how the log just made it so far over the falls and stopped there. Great pictures so many little falls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite a tough trail you walked. It would slow my walk down to less than one mph. Beautiful scenery along that path.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those foot bridges. Have to give a hats off of thanks for the people that built them. Makes the hike that much better because you don't get wet feet. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we hiked to Abrams Falls and being springtime during our visit, the trails towards the falls were lined with all kinds of wildflowers. As I was reading your post, I felt I knew where I was going with you on this trail for it ded looked familiar, thanks for taking me back there.
    The drive to Cades Cove was another beautiful one, all your great photos brought lots of memories of our time at the Smokies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that I don't like a scenic drive, but too many people don't stop and walk into the landscape. 20 mins is ridiculous for 5 miles. Does seem everywhere you hike is rocks and roots. I'm guessing the rock is sedimentary. Maybe I should apply to work at Smoky so I can learn and experience all this flowing water and falls. I would then tell you not to climb on log jams, although I'm sure you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely falls! Those red mushrooms are so cool! I so enjoy all the various types of fungi. But fungi means moisture and bugs. We've driven Cades Cove on the motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another one of those out early things. I've had some gnats in the afternoon but almost no mosquitoes and nothing at all in the morning. I think you have east coast phobia. LOL!!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous falls. Such powerful water! I, too, would want to be the early bird. So many people in the summer! Great pictures of the beautiful forest, mountain views and cabins.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!