Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

A Bear Bonanza: My Last Visit in Cades Cove

Saturday August 18, 2018                                                                                Most Recent Posts:
Great Smoky Mountain National Park                                     Baskin Creek Falls and The Place of a Thousand Drips
Tennessee                                                                                                Can’t Get Enough of those Bears



Today turns out to be my last trip to Cades Cove before heading to Virginia.   The bears give me a seven star send off.

It’s a cloudy day as I park my car and walk down the loop road past the fields and barn.  The horses are no where to be seen.  It’s 7:30am.



I follow the road through the woods headed for the bear trees.


A group of women runners passes me as I head toward Sparks Lane.

IMG_2085



I turn left on Sparks Lane and find it gated.  Hmmm, that’s odd.  I put up my camera zoom and look down the road toward my destination tree near the stream.

IMG_2101



It seems bear #1 is cleaning up berries from a branch that was broken off the tree.  Perhaps he broke it.


He’s not a big bear.  Would he stil be called a cub?



From my zoom, I don’t see any more cherries on the branch but there are some on the road that he appears to be checking.  Since this is a very long distance for pictures or for watching, I leave him to it and return to walk further down the loop road.  There are two trees not too far away to check.

IMG_2111



Sure enough, when I get there, I burst out laghing.  Look at this big bear #2 weighing down the branch.  At least he won’t have far to fall if it breaks.

IMG_2134


I look more closely and it’s even funnier.  He’s hunkered down around the branch.  How in the world is he holding on?

IMG_2132


People are told to walk, not run, including their bikes.  He’s hanging pretty low in that tree.

IMG_2142


I can just barely see the tiny little black berries he is after on the ends of the twigs in his front paw.  I have to say I don’t get why they are willing to go to so much trouble for so little reward.  The berries aren’t that tasty at least to my palate.  I tried some last week when I was here and they were VERY tart with a huge seed.  Almost nothing but skin and seed.


IMG_2145


I had to include this picture of his cute little ears as “sitting” on the scrawny branch.


IMG_2148



He’s up there quite a while so there must be enough to keep him happy.  I just don’t see how the limb doesn’t break under his weight pulling it so far down.  He sure drew a croud of bikers.  Here’s a video of this “hanging bear”

IMG_2150


He’s finished here and headed back up toward the trunk.

IMG_2151


Peole are  not heeding the warnings to walk not ride or run as he moves up the limb.

IMG_2152


I thought he was heading for another area of the tree but he climbs down to the road.


IMG_2156


And heads across.

IMG_2157


Stopping traffic of course.

IMG_2158


He inspects some downed branches.

IMG_2159


Not much there so now what?

IMG_2160



Hmm, how to get to the tree beyond this fence seems to be the question.

IMG_2162


At this point he’s straddling the fence.  All of the fences in Cades Cove are wire.  None are barbed.  Many are broken by bears and by some people.  Replacing them is a nuisance for park staff.

IMG_2165


He’s stepped back outside the fence.  Perhaps he figured out that climbing further down the limb he was on wasn’t wise so he’s attempting to make a ground run at low hanging berries.  Here is a video of him eating.


IMG_2176


There must be a way over there.


IMG_2179


He did it so fast, I didn’t see how.  That’s what I get for watching through my camera.

IMG_2180


Holding on to the fence is good for balance.  Seems he’s thinking “I can smell them”.

IMG_2181


But to get them he’s got to use his paws.  How does he balance his heavy body?

IMG_2183


Heading back to the other side.

IMG_2185


A short video of the “audience” reaction to “the bear crosses the road”.  You just have to wonder.

IMG_2186


I think he’s very handsome.

IMG_2194


He’s looking up at the tree next to the one he was nearly hanging from on the road.  Considering it?

IMG_2195



But look what’s there already.  Bears #3 and #4.

IMG_2211


Based on the fact that they are so close together in the tree, I’m thinking they are related.  One is a small bear and the other larger.

IMG_2205


When you are little you have to hold on tight.

IMG_2208


Looks like a nice seat.

IMG_2219


Snacking away.

IMG_2229


IMG_2233


Time to move on I guess.


IMG_2238


The little guy is watching.

IMG_2244


They are even closer together when I decide it’s time to move on.  I’ve been here watching these three for more than an hour.

IMG_2250


I look across the road and see Bear #5 coming through the field in front of the John Oliver Cabin.   I don’t don’t to see where he’s headed.  The morning is getting away from me.


IMG_2260


Bear #2 remains under the tree but now blocking the road.  Guess I’m not going anywhere just yet.

IMG_2263



Up in the tree, they are making some moves.

IMG_2273


IMG_2275


Big bear decides that the way to get to the berries is to chew the branch below.  Glad I didn’t leave.  This is great to see.


IMG_2284


Working every angle.  Live action gnawing video.

IMG_2280


So what happens when you are chewing a branch you are sitting on?

IMG_2296


Pretty amazing!

IMG_2298


At this point bear #4 on the ground decides to head off  in a different direction and I do too.

IMG_2312


I walk  up the road to near the barn on my way back to the car.

IMG_2314


I find the horses in the field.

IMG_2323


This fella was rolling over and over on the grass.  I remember my horses doing this and it was always amazing to me that such big animals got themselves down to roll around.  My Appaloosa was over 1200 pounds.

IMG_2331


After some vigorous rolling back and forth he rights himself and is back up on his feet in no time.

IMG_2337


Part of the resident turkey flock is around as I walk by.  Glad to see them too before I go.  I know they are wild but this was a very domestic area of the park before its creation and they give the pasture that feel somehow.



Besides I really love their colors and feathers.  I am disappointed that in my entire two months here I never saw a Tom in display.  That is really something to see.



As I am almost to my car, I look down toward the barn and see a carriage being brought out.  I head down to take a look.

IMG_2360


I’m not sure if there are going to be rides some time today or not.  I didn’t get down to the spot before the man who had brought it out stepped away.  With 3 bench seats, this may qualify as a wagon but those are pretty fancy wheels.

IMG_2364


I decide I’m not quite ready to leave Cades Cove for the last time so I take the trail from the barn over to the back end of the loop road and think I’ll just finish the loop around to my car.


IMG_2373


I cross a pretty stream that runs through the valley

IMG_2375


Once the trail brings me to the road I’m again greeted by bikers and women runners. 

IMG_2379


And then, another bear, #6 for today.  Just standing right up there.  Who knew you could ride your bike right under a bear in Cades Cove.

IMG_2380



IMG_2382


Turns out she’s on her way down.  To see how, watch this.

IMG_2384


She’s decided to hed across the road.  I’ve seen this before not very long ago.  Bikers stopped by bear and taking pictures.

IMG_2388


When I take this picture, I think she may be here for a long time given the number of those little black berries on the pavement.

IMG_2390



She moseys along to the other side of the road.

IMG_2392

She stops, turns around and heads back.

IMG_2394


I’m wondering why she’s abandonded the berries when I see this up in the tree.  Bear #7 is the smallest cub I’ve seen today.

IMG_2398


IMG_2400


I’m a little concerned about these people so close.  Black Bears are really not dangerous unless they feel frightened, cornered or the need to protect their young.  She’s a young mother  Will she see so many people as a threat?  Glad I’m on the other side at a much farther distance.


IMG_2406


I guess this just seems like regular paparazzi behavior for the these royals.  But I sure wouldn’t take the chances these folks are.  If something happens, she’ll be blamed of course.  Luckily, she ignores them and heads back to a new tree.


IMG_2409


In a flash they are up the tree.

IMG_2412


IMG_2416


Looks like a tree pruner in a bear suit..

IMG_2423


So cute!

IMG_2435


Pretty well camoflagued for a bear.  Look at that face.

IMG_2444


IMG_2446


How do they do this?  The branch isn’t that wide.

IMG_2447


They make me laugh.  I have such a good time here watching them all.

IMG_2460


Last looks, and then I really do have to go.

IMG_2461


IMG_2463


I decide not to take the road around as the cars have already started.  I head back to the creek.

IMG_2476


Walking along its side I’m treated to more of nature’s wonders.


IMG_2479

IMG_2481


IMG_2482


It’s very hard to say goodbye to a place I’ve visited so often and come to love.  If you want to see bears in the Great Smokies, Cades Cove is the place.  But you’ll have a much better chance if you get out of your car and walk.  Even biking won’t give you SEVEN BEARS in one day.   

Absolutely amazing!

My heart felt thanks to the Bears, Cades Cove and the Great Smoky Mountains.
I’m going to really miss you all.


IMG_2278


14 comments:

  1. From now on I'm calling you the "Bear Whisperer". :cD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Sherry!! We too fell in love with Cades Cove. Didn't expect that to be top of our list of things we did this summer....but it is:o)) When you walk the cove, you make a connection...that just pulls you back again and again!!! So glad you had such a marvelous experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous thing, seeing all those bears! Wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again more bears! You've captured them so nicely with your lens. I'm amazed that they don't seem to be bothered by the paparazzi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post!! I loved every photo and video - your bears are delightful. Love the over the fence shots and that way up in the tree above the trail one. I'm going to miss seeing all their antics! The rolling paint is wonderful as well. Mine would always do that as soon as I was done grooming him :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely extraordinary!! So funny, your comment about "tree pruner in a bear suit." The cub is adorable, and all of the bears are beautiful. But the people are crazy to be so close. It definitely puts them at risk and endangers the bears. You really had a wonderful two months in the Smokies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great ending to your time there. Wonderful photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most amazing days! Why had I never even heard of this activity of bears in trees. As a kid I watched bears visit the dump in Wisconsin. I certainly understand your sadness at leaving here. Thank you for showing us this amazing park.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, I rarely post on my blog or comment on others these days, although I do read. These are wonderful photos! Such an amazing experience - lucky you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like bear heaven. Since we have bears nearby all the time, I keep a safe distance. When a cub is near, it can get ugly fast. Done of those folks could outrun a bear if it came down to it:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of bears and lots of stupid people...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a place. I really want to go back there since my last trip was 48 years ago. You have inspired me! Thank you for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!! So cool!!! 7 star send off for sure. I enjoyed the videos. That little cub was so cute! Cades Cove sounds like a very special place. So glad you got to spend so much time there and see so much.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!