Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Spectacular Skies and Hullivator Troubles

Sunday November 25-Sunday December 2, 2018                                    Most Recent Posts:
Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area                                   Wonderful Day at the Beach
Flagler Beach, Florida                                                                       Northing Like an Ocean Front Site


These are our last few days in my favorite site at Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area.

Dawn on Sunday is like a painting.. 

None of the pictures in this post have been altered in any way.

IMG_3760


The skies become more muted

IMG_3770


The full moon is in the west.


Back in the east.

IMG_3777


Here comes the sun.  The waves are churning.

IMG_3789


It’s so fantastic to have this right outside my door.

IMG_3791


Sorry for so many pictures but I like each one for a different reason.   The winged ones fly by and grace the shores.


IMG_3798



I take a morning walk on up the beach  and on my way back come up to the road to take a look at the mural displayed by the park’s neighbor.


IMG_3820


IMG_3821


This is High Tides, Snack Jack, Surfside Eats and Drinks.  If you can believe it, we have never in all our years of coming to Gamble Rogers eaten there.  Notice Valet Parking only “no self parking”.


I have looked into this sweet looking establishment though   This is Luxury Suites, right on the ocean and about 500 steps to the North from Winnona.  I’d love for Carrie and her family to come stay here some year while we are at the park.   What fun we’d have.

The town has issued a no rebuilding order for establishments on the ocean side of Highway A1A.  If Mother Nature damages them, they are not allowed to rebuild.   So, I imagine it is only a matter of time.   But for now it’s a great spot.   You can’t get closer to the water than this.

IMG_3826


IMG_3827



Hullivator Warranty1On Monday I decide it’s time to tackle the hullivator.  When we left to come south I found that the hydraulics on the front hullivator stopped working.  That means that it provides no assist to lift it up on the car. 

We managed to get the boat up there without it but haven’t taken it down until we could get a new arm.   That took some doing.  We’ve had these for 7 years and they have a lifetime warranty IF you have your receipt.  Do you have 7 year old receipts?   I do.   I keep every receipt for every purchase including cash and keep detailed track of our expenses.  It’s helped a lot at tax time though I think the new “benefits corporate America” tax cuts may put an end to that along with ending the mortgage deduction.  BUT I digress. . . . I also keep receipts for just such occasions as this.  Companies of course do not expect you to have receipts for a “lifetime”.  But since I did, they were forced to send me an entire new front mechanism.

Of course they sent it with no instructions for installation.

These two pictures are “before”


Hullivator Warranty2


Here we are mid problem.   We’ve taken the old one off and I have watched a Utube video on how to replace it.


IMG_3830



The problem is this pin.   I can see from the still good one how it goes in, I just can’t make it do it on the new one.

IMG_3832


IMG_3836

Long story short.  After several hours of watching, trying, rewatching, retrying and having trouble holding the heavy hullivator up with one hand and trying to put the pin in with the other, the camp host comes by and with his help it is finally accomplished.

My advice on hullivators:   They are designed for tall vehicles like trucks and SUVs and with those vehicles they will help you lift a kayak or a canoe on top.  But I cannot recommend them for sedans or small/short cars of any kind.   In order to activate the hydraulic component you must squeeze the lever on both at the same time.  Fine if you can stand up to do it but on my honda that makes the levers near the ground so I must work from a crouched position.  As long as I am in good physical shape, reasonably strong and very flexible in a squat, this will work fine but buyer beware.

This is actually the sunrise view from my front door.  Would that I could just never have to move.


IMG_3839


IMG_3845




IMG_3850



IMG_3860



IMG_3861



The snowy egrets golden slippers are just barely visible. as the waves roll in.

He doesn’t seem bothered by waver nearly to his hips.

IMG_3869


I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this little scene in the sand.  Pretty sure those colors mean the starfish is still alive so after I took this quick picture I picked him up and tossed him as far as I could back into the water.  Any starfish experts out there?


IMG_3870


I did not toss this guy back in the water.  Yuck-jellyfish.

IMG_3873



Next day’s dawn finds two other folks out as I take this picture through our front window.

IMG_3876


From my patio, the color is fantastic.

IMG_3877


I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a sunrise as spectacular as this one.

IMG_3885


The colors lighten some as I watch.

IMG_3886


IMG_3889


I marvel at the reflections.

IMG_3891



Finally when the colors have drained, I come back and take a picture of the new campers who have moved in next door.  I’ve never seen a rig like theirs in a campgrond before.

IMG_3900


I assume they sleep in the boat.  They strung a tarp over it the next night.  I assumed because of the rain but boats are made for water and rain right?

IMG_3898


Speaking of the rain, the dark clouds moved in before long and the temperature dropped.


IMG_3902


We weren’t really expecting temperatures like this in Florida in late November.  So far this is the coldest it’s ever been for us here. 

IMG_3906



On the day we need to move, of course, the weather is beautiful.  We get Winnona out of her site and to the dump station and then park her in the day use are and go down to the beach.  We’re only moving about 40 miles north to Anastasia and it’s such a glorious day we are in no hurry.


IMG_3915


If we had the time, I’d get my suit but rolling up my pant legs will have to do.

IMG_3918


IMG_3921


I’ve got my eye on the waves this time.

IMG_3923


IMG_3926


David commes down and does a half hearted job of rolling his pants up above his ankles.

IMG_3930


Our bliss is interrupted by a park ranger who tells us Winnona cannot be parked in the day use parking lot.  We’ll have to move her over to the other side of the road and back into the picnic area over flow lot.   That’s too far for David to walk these days so we head north where he relaxes with a book after we have set up in our site at Anastasia.

18 comments:

  1. Unbelievable sunrise! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the sunrise!! The combination of colors is magical. Lucky, lucky you! We've been to some lovely places on the beach, but I'm sure your spot here is my favorite in the country. And now I know what the heck a hullivator is!! Sounds like a pain, glad you got it repaired. Love the hat :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look up hullivator. Might want one someday. Mos SIL has one on her Honda SUV and it seems ok. Sunrise was gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely AMAZING sunrises...Mother Nature is the best artist!!! We actually had a sailboat neighbor in Valdosta George. Even got to visit and tour the inside. It was about twice the size of your neighbor and they were towing it from Oklahoma to Florida. Toughest part is using the step ladder to get in an out;-((

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic sunrise pics, I understand not wanting to leave that site. Glad you got the hullivator fixed, now onto some awesome paddles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sunrise pictures, each and everyone just perfect. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where would we be without YouTube videos?

    PS: I had to watch a YouTube video on how to watch YouTube videos... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sunrise pictures. We don't have a sunrise view but we do have a sunset view from our Texas habitat though not quite as stunning as an ocean horizon. Sorry about the hullivator problem. YouTube is a lifesaver (and the camp host). Used YouTube video's many times. Good pictures of David.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God for you Sherry, I would have not seen those spectacular sunrises. We have been here for a week and I just cant get myself out of the door :( That sunruse reflection is the most gorgeous, perfect capture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy to hear about the no rebuild policy. It's crazy where people are allowed to build. Yet I do love those ocean views and glorious sunrises you share. Funny, my family camped/slept in a sailboat as we drove down the west coast. It was what we had. Did get some funny looks.l

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot believe those gorgeous sunrises—they really do look like paintings! I'm impressed with your skills at fixing the hullivator. And your tenacity! BTW, where do you keep all those receipts that you save?? So fun that you're now moving to Anastasia—from one gorgeous place to another!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on repairing the hullivator! We will be in St. Augustine next month and hopefully we'll be blessed with some of those absolutely gorgeous sunrises!The ocean pictures were beautiful too especially the great picture of the starfish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing pictures. I can't imagine what it must have looked like in person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some park rangers are just bullies....Too bad, why couldn't you park in the day use area?..
    Makes no sense, maybe a supervisor will find out about the poor customer service of this one?
    Keep having fun!
    Upriver

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those sunrise pictures are nearly unbelievable! Absolutely gorgeous. One of those should be in the Sierra Club Calendar! That little motel does look cute! Such a great site you had. I'm sure you were loath to leave.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!