Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Terrific Tuesday at St. George Island

Tuesday April 16, 2013
Site 46, St. George Island State Park
St. George, Florida

 

With apologies to Rick Doyle who follows his own advice to limit posts to 750 words and 17 pictures.  He has many commenters perhaps as a result.  I aspire to his wisdom and discipline.  My enthusiasm has carried me away even more than usual today. 

 

The birds let me know it’s time to get up and greet the day.

They are joyful enough that I can hear them without the windows being open.  I can’t leave them open because at dusk and  beyond, the bugs are a factor here.  But not during the day and not at dawn.

So I throw on my favorite comfy sweat pants and a t-shirt, grab the camera and set out up the road for the Gulf Shore.   No one else is up yet.  Amazing since it is 6:45.  Probably the fishermen are already gone.

It’s still fairly dark but the light from the approaching sun has turned this cloud a lovely pink.  Sunrise isn’t far behind

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 007

 

Just below the pink cloud I see the Pelicans are moving west in mass.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 016

 

Soon the golden orb appears.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 042

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 038

 

My sunrise companion is a bit late today but he arrives silently and takes his accustomed spot.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 058

 

If you are like me, you take way too many pictures of the sunrise.  The light shining on the water as the sun rises higher in the sky is mesmerizing.

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 093 

 

Eventually the sun becomes too bright to look at.  But what a great way to begin the day.  The sun is up, the light and temperature are perfect.  Time for breakfast and then what?

 

 

A surprise guest shows up for breakfast.

As I walk in the door David says he hears a splat.

He looks over at the sink and sees a new house guest.  Well where did he come from?

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 133

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 138 

 

I would love to invite him to stay permanently if I were sure he would eat up any gnats or mosquitoes that get inside but hopefully there won’t be enough food for him in here.  So I transport him out to greener pastures.  He’s not at all concerned about this.  Was he someone else’s pet at one point??  Or is he just too terrified to move??

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 142

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 147 

 

See how small he is in the picture above.  Well here’s a close up of how cute he is.  I could just hug him if I wouldn’t squish him doing it.

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 150

 

 

Another narrow fellow not in the grass this time but on the road.

 

After breakfast I want to bike back down to the island’s point and get some pictures of my run/hike from yesterday.  As we are going down the road, who should we encounter soaking up the heat of the blacktop but what I think is a red rat snake.  Now rat snakes are good snakes.  They aren’t poisonous and they eat, well, rats and mice and other sorts of vermin that I would personally much rather not have then the snake.
His coloring is gorgeous.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 161

 

 Tuesday biking to St. George Point 162

 

I stop to get his picture and am starting to wonder if I will have to encourage him to get off the road lest he become road kill when he just ups and slithers right off into the grass as though  he heard me.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 169

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 167 

 

 

There certainly is a lot to see on our way this morning.

We only get a short way down the road before I stop to take some pictures of the ponds flanking each side of the entry road to the campground.   They are lovely.  

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 171

 

This one has a nesting heron high in a pine tree overlooking it. 

I don’t see anyone this morning.  I’ll check again later,

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 180

 

The second pond  has a group of 4 resident ducks.

Duck lovers, including you Good Luck Ducks,  what kind of ducks are these?

 

 

 

These pictures were taken at some distance but are they Mergansers?

 

Mergansers

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 182

 

Love that wake!

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 183

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 200

 

I know, I can hear you saying, ‘enough ducks, get on with it’.

We finally make it to the park road, a distance of perhaps .3 of a mile.  At this rate it will be sundown before we are back.

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 233

The park road itself is gorgeous with the beautiful dunes all along.   I really can’t get over these dunes that no one has flattened, made trails up and down or used for hang gliding.  They just are there in pristine condition.  They way I almost never see dunes any more.

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 238

 

It is only about 1/4 mile to the gate closed to protect the nesting bird area.  It is just beyond the 2nd public beach area.  The gate is locked but for a $6 fee fishermen can get the code and drive down to the end of the road at the island’s point.  It is a 5 mile drive. 

 

 

The pedestrian/bicycle gate does not have a lock or a fee.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 239

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 241

 

 

What a wonderful trail this is for biking or hiking.

There are short stretches of pavement, mostly hard pack with gravel, one difficult sandy patch and some low spots that are full of water after a rain.   But very doable on wheels or feet.   It winds between the front and back dunes, between the Gulf of Mexico and the St. George Sound.  A wonderful 5 miles.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 263

 Tuesday biking to St. George Point 253

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 262

 

   Tuesday biking to St. George Point 278

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 282

 

 

We hear both of the birds whose nesting habitat is being protected, the snowy plover and the least tern. 

We catch fleeting glimpses of them in the air but do not see any nests.  These are hidden very well.

We do hear and see the lovely red winged black birds and more spring flowers.

  Tuesday biking to St. George Point 287

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 289 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 245

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 246

 

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 295

At the end of the road is a parking lot for the fisherman and a trail out to the sound which you can then follow around to the point and on around to the Gulf side.  Here there is also an information sign explaining about the nesting birds, the snowy plover and the least tern. 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 296 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 293

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 294

 

 

We walk out to the point, me in the water, David on the sand.

We are at the far end of St. George Island.  It’s fantastic.  No wonder the fishermen are willing to pay to be here.  The sound water is gentle and beautifully clear.  Here, all seems right with the world.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 297

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 302 

 

We walk behind all the fishing lines and around to the Bay.  The waves increase.

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 325

 

 

I could stay the rest of the day here but I didn’t bring lunch. 

So we start back and on the way I am startled by a pair of Baltimore Orioles or whatever they are calling them now.  They streak across right in front of me.  I don’t actually see her until I come to a screeching halt and grab the binoculars.  She blends in too well with her muted yellow and green colors and doesn’t sit still long enough to get her picture.  But he is stunning.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 332

 

 

The bike back takes less time than going out as the wind was at our backs.

All along the route there are rope barriers and signs asking people to stay away from the nesting areas.  There are several different types of signs but this one was my favorite.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 333

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 334

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 335 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 340

 

As we pedal down the drive to the campground, the spring flowers are carpeting an area that was burned a short time ago.  It’s amazing how quickly the flowers and ferns return.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 343

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 345 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 348

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 349

 

What a great morning!  After some lunch we head over for an afternoon at the beach.

We set up the sportbrella and I go in to check out the Gulf waters.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 356

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 358

 

The water is wonderfully warm although the air less so with the breeze.   As I am getting out, I spot my buddy the Great Blue Heron flying in.   He doesn’t stay long.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 369

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 367   

 

It’s hard trying to read at the beach with all the activity going on.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 381

After I come out of the water, I wrap up and sit in the sun to read for a while.  Then the Marx Brothers show up and for a while during the afternoon we are entertained by them and their company putting on an aerial and diving show.

 

 

pelicans  

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 385

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 396 

 

It appears I don’t quite measure up.

The afternoon wanes and it’s time to pack up and go back when in flies you know who again.  He struts up right behind David and then up in front of me.  He’s parading like a runway model.   I can’t stop taking pictures of him.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 407

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 408

 

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 423

 

Gee he is so handsome.  He’s just stunning when you can see him up SO close.    Amazing.  He takes my breath away.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 419

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 421 

 

He turns and walks to my side stretching his neck up very high as if to look me over carefully.  I guess he doesn’t care for what he sees since he marches off in the other direction.  But I’m enthralled with everything about him.  

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 433

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 437 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 439

 

 

When he stands up tall, he comes at least to my shoulder.  Look at the size of his foot print next to mine and next to other shore birds, those little prints on the left.   He’s a BIG fella that’s for sure.  I am just so excited about his recurring presence in my life here.

 

Tuesday biking to St. George Point 456

 

This has been one terrific Tuesday!   But it’s not over yet.

 

When we return to Winnona, who do we see in our yard????

Not one, not two but three…….indigo buntings.

Indigo Buntings 7pm 015

 

Indigo Bunting4 

Indigo Bunting 3

 

Indigo Bunting

 

They hang around for quite some time and are wonderful to watch.  They appear to be eating some sort of seeds in the grasses in our yard.

What a day this has been.   I’m exhausted.  Bet you are too.

THE END!

Indigo Bunting2

16 comments:

  1. It sure was a Teriffic Tuesday! I love your buddy at the beach. Amazing how beautiful birds are. You're getting very good at identifying them--do you have a book or do you look them up on the computer, Sherry. I do believe you have found your little bit of heaven at St. George. Little frogs, snakes, sand, water, birds, blue skies, dunes, bike trails…enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful day! I am glad you did not shorten your post, I think one should include everything they need to tell their story to their satisfaction.

    I don't know when we will get to Florida, but when we do I will use your blog as our guide...you are exploring the types of places that really appeal to me! Thanks again for writing a wonderful blog!

    Lisa
    Metamorphosis Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! What a day from sunrise all the way through! All the birds - seeing the orioles and the ducks and the buntings and that heron strutting his stuff so close to you - how cool!! Love the human foot, heron foot picture - I had no idea they were that large!! The frog was adorable and the snake quite striking. Looks like it was a magnificent ride with so much sand and greenery and birds and animals and ocean. Love it! Certainly wish I'd had more time at St. George!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great day, and my kind of place. Love the heron checking you out, they are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have a tree frog in your rig, check the back doors of your car. I would find little frogs that had sneaked into the crack of my back doors each morning at Oke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! What a DAY!!! Definitely putting St. George on our list:o)) Your photos were wonderful and just so many different animals today:o)) The Great Blue Heron and you have created a special bond;o))

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are several areas of the beach here in Gulfport-Biloxi where net barriers have been placed to keep people from trampling over least tern nests ... I hope it works. You had a wonderful day at the beach. I wouldn't mind snakes so much if they didn't slither and were so quiet ... I have nightmares about one of them getting into the motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful pictures.. were there any shells on that beach??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. I so wish I could spend time there with you at St. George. Through your eyes, I found the description of your day quite exhilarating--and not too long-winded at all! I love, love, love frogs so his(?) appearance was a beautiful omen for what was to come. Snakes are rarely my favorite creatures, but I actually bought a red rat snake for a boyfriend in college. He was the first snake I learned to hold and appreciate. Now, those three indigo buntings made me want to turn around and head back to St. George. I would say you had a blessed day that was well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All in one day. Wow! That little frog adorable, the colors of the snake so brilliant. The Dunes! OMG And that marvelous beach to yourselves. But best of all the handsome Heron and how close it came to you. Dang if you don't have some amazing days in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice day all around, you certainly covered a lot of ground and met so many friends. Don't worry about your post being too long, I was sorry it ended. I enjoyed every picture and every word describing this magnificent day.

    The heron seems to like you, maybe he wants to ride up on your dashboard with Ducky? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can look at snake pictures, but frog pictures give me the creeps! That reminds me that I really need to get Al up on the roof to put screens over the toilet and refrigerator vents. Can't have any tree frogs in MY house!

    What a nice day you had and I don't mind the number of pictures or too many words. I'm guilty of doing the same thing.

    Love the Indigo Buntings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, forgot. I think those are Mergansers. I looked them up in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful day for exploring nature and seeing so much variety of wildlife. I love all the photos --especially the close ups of the GB Heron. What a specimen! And the frog is just too cute for words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW....the ultimate bike trail! So much to take in....the tiny frog, the sweet blue birds, and that soft white sand! I'll trade you flurries :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! THREE indigo buntings at once -- how cool is that?! Love the heron giving you a once over. And the frog is so cute. At least he wasn't swimming around in your cup this time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!